Backer Board Installation

1. Edward

If the manufacturers of the cement boards really want you to tape the joints, and you should, why don't they make indents at the edges (like sheetrock manufacturers do) so the taping will be level. I always have to sand the joints. Someone needs to come up with a better product. Anyone know of backer board manufacturer that produces this feature?

2. Nicholas
    December 2, 2014

I am new to cement board. Is a clean edge really necessary? Seems like scoring and snapping is much easier on your lungs and saw. Your other article, "Installing Cement Backer Board", suggest scoring/snapping is fine, but this article suggests it leaves an edge that is too rough. Again, if a clean edge is not important, scoring/snapping seems preferable. Thank you.

December 3, 2014

It depends on where the rough edge is. If it dies in a corner, it's usually no big deal. But on an outside corner, you want clean crisp edges.

3. john brown
    December 10, 2014

Can I install backer board using thinset only? Grout lines have cracked. I have puled up the tile and smoothed out the old thinset. I have a heated floor and cannot use screws. Is there anything that will adhere backer board to the old thinset? Or is my only option to take up everything down to the subfloor and start from scratch<

December 11, 2014

Why can't you use screws that do NOT penetrate through the subfloor wood? I assume you have a wood subfloor. The cracking grout lines may NOT have anything to do with the tile not being firm. It could be a poor grout job! WATCH my grouting tile video series!!! The first one is about Mixing Grout. The second one starts you in the process of installing it.

4. john brown
    December 15, 2014

Can I install backer board using thinset only? Grout lines have cracked. I have pulled up the tile and smoothed out the old thinset. I have a heated floor and cannot use screws. Is there anything that will adhere backer board to the old thinset? Or is my only option to take up everything down to the subfloor and start from scratch?

5. john brown
    December 15, 2014

Can I install backer board using thinset only? Grout lines have cracked. I have pulled up the tile and smoothed out the old thinset. I have a heated floor and cannot use screws. Is there anything that will adhere backer board to the old thinset? Or is my only option to take up everything down to the subfloor and start from scratch

6. Mike
    March 27, 2015

I put down backerboard on a laundry room floor before I will put down peel-and-stick tile (its a rental), but I think I screwed up when using thin set to cover screw holes and seams. So I'm at a temporary stop.

I put down thin set, feathered the seams, and when covering the screw holes the 4" blade ends up spreading a decent width of thin set. I also had put the grid-side up (bad move), so I tried to cover over the HardiBacker name with thin set. Looking at it afterwards, the floor looks like it is 40% thin set (60% hardibacker).

Q 1: Will peel-and-stick tiles stick well to thin set?

Here is where I may have really screwed up. Seeing all that thin set, I "overthought things" and decided to reduce the thin set over the screw holes, so I removed a bunch of thin set with my putty knife. This kicked up a LOT of thin set, which I swept, and then I decided to use a damp mop, which removed more thin set. Now I'm back to just the screw holes and a tiny amount of thin set: you can see the hole, but not the screw head. There is also still some dust and a bit of sand on the floor, so I'm worried that the surface won't hold the peel-and-stick tiles well.How do I proceed?

Q2. Should I just vacuum and sweep multiple times?
    Q3. Should I also put down a little thin set over those screw holes with a smaller 2" putty knife?
    Q4. I wonder about doing a touch mop again, which I think is a bad idea... but I want the surface clean and ready for applying the tiles. I want a strong bond.
    Q5. Is using something like a Henry's Self Stick Primer a good idea?

I'm frustrated as I'm usually don't screw u this bad. Thanks!

7. Jason

Long time reader, first time writer ๐Ÿ™‚
    Using cement board for interior fireplace surround. can't locate "backer-board screws" in my remote location, as recommended by manufacturer...are they really necessary? Can I just use 2 inch galvanized deck screws?

Thanks

If they are hot dipped galvanized.

• Jason

That was quick! Thanks

8. Frank

I have found out that a jig saw cuts hard board easy and with less dust than the circular saw but you still have to cut outside and wear a mask. The saw blades I used was T101BF Bosch 10 tpi clean for hardwood type blades from Lowe's. I imagine they sell the blades at other hardware stores also.