Deck Stain Test Results After Two Years

1. Ed Gorman
    June 4, 2014

Hi Tim
    I received my 9 Pound container of Stain Solver yesterday. When I purchased it I also bought you test results for the Stains, that was only thru May of 2013, I would like to see the results thru June of 2014 without having to buy for them again. If I had known I would have waited a week to purchase.
    Thanks
    Ed Gorman

June 5, 2014

Ed,

The results after TWO YEARS are here. Just look at the photos and READ the text. It's very straightforward. The photos tell you all you need to know.

2. Tom
    June 4, 2014

Please send a copy of the stain finalist and which best
    withstood the elements.

My thanks,

Tom

3. Randy Ingle
    June 4, 2014

You failed to indicate which stain was the best. Why?

June 5, 2014

I DID indicate what stain is best!!!! You have to purchase that information. Just like you do when you PAY for your subscription to Consumer Reports.

4. Gordon Everett
    June 4, 2014

Thanks for the photo update on stain sealers. When or how can we learn which sealer is recommended on untreated redwood in OAKLAND, ca?

5. Julie Jones
    June 4, 2014

Penofin is the only stain I have found that will not wear off with exposure to the weather. Is this product different from the products you tested above? I have tried the Behr stain and found the same results as you.

June 5, 2014

All you have to do is determine what's in Penofin. Is it made with natural oils - food for mildew and mold - or does it contain synthetic resins?

6. Adam S
    June 4, 2014

Good information to have Tim. I always wondered if desk stains were just a futile effort.

On a related note, for those of us with an unstained deck is there any rule of thumb for how many years:
    1. treated SPF or
    2. untreated cedar will last?

I am up in Ottawa, Canada.

Many thanks

June 5, 2014

Untreated lumber will last for years. It will turn gray, crack, and look like a 50-year-old fishing pier in about four years.

7. Rita Griebel
    June 5, 2014

Have a large deck at our campsite. It needs to be refinished now. The boards are cedar. What stain should I use? Will have to clean the decking before I restain. Might even need to do some sanding unless I can find a color the same as I previously used. Had bought the video you had for sale showing the different stains but when converted to windows 7 lost a lot of my files so am not able to see the video. Someone told me Fleet Farm has a product that can be used on decks that is supposed to be real good and will last quite long. Haven't checked it out yet. Don't know if Fleet Farm has different colors/stains with this product.

8. Judy Gilmore
    June 5, 2014

Tim I purchased 2013 test but still not sure what sealer is best from looking at photos.

June 5, 2014

Judy, are you serious? Which of the stains looks like it suffered little or NO damage from being outside for a year?

9. Tim
    June 5, 2014

What is best for Ipe hard wood decking?

June 5, 2014

A non film former. Ipe is very dense and hard. Most stains will peel from this.

10. Judy Gilmore
    June 6, 2014

Why the guessing game? I'm blonde.

11. Jason

I purchased the test results, and I'm trying to match up with the 2 year results. Are the treated lumber samples in order of the test results file, A-P or are they in a different order, as the stain colors don't seem to match the order in the results file.

They are not in order as you see them on the giant test board. Just look at the names of the product in the pdf file.

• Jason

It is difficult to match them up as there are several stains that look similar, and the 2 year results is critical. Is there a pdf with the 2 year results, as the dst pdf only has the 1 year results, and I can't match them without guessing.

Also, is there any additional detail besides the pictures, as it would be nice to know which stains experienced flaking/peeling vs which simply lost or changed color, as peeling certainly seems like the worst case scenario.

12. Will

I purchased the 2013 test results and would like to know the results of the 2014 results. I think it is unreasonable to ask others who have paid for this to have to try and match by eye the above photos with the original test results. IS there a separate PDF file for the 2-year results? Please post or provide access for those who paid to know this info.
    Thanks.

Will, because of a health issue, no 2014 test was conducted. What you see in the above photos tell the tale. ALL OF THE PRODUCTS FAILED after two years.

That's all a report would have said. You can clearly see the flaking finishes and black mold in the above photos.

Your takeaway should be: Be prepared to refinish your deck every two years no matter what you use.