Glass Block Video

1. Matthew

What are the spacers made from, and where do you get them?

Easy. How about from the people that make the glass blocks!

2. Mary

Thank you for showing this. Can you show how to finish the top? Also what brand of silicon caulk would you recommend ?

Thanks
    Mary

3. Mike Collins

As you can probably guess, I already knew that.
    Here's one for you....man made stone (not the typical mortar set thin veneer but the full sized units) made with cement and silica should be set with spacers, anchored to the wall at each course with a tie that engages a "slot" in the unit, and then the head and bed joints filled with a backer rod and sealant.** (Notice I said sealant. Caulk fills a space, a sealant seals a space because of its' elastomeric properties. Silicone sealants have the longest service life for this application.) This method will perform long term and overcome inevitable shrinkage that is a characteristic of cement based products.

**An alternate method would be to set the units in mortar, rake the joint 1/2 as deep as the dimension of the mortar joint i.e. a 3/8" mortar joint would be raked to a 3/16" depth. This would be in line with most sealant manufacturers recommendation of a 2:1 width to depth ratio for a sealant but not deeper than 1/4". Then install a bond breaking vinyl tape to cover the face of the raked mortar (bond breaker tapes are available in various widths just like backer rod) and then apply the sealant, of course tooling/striking it concave.

As always, your friend Mike Collins

4. LARRY LYTLE

TIM, DO YOU KNOW HOW I CAN INSTALL TWO SLIDING DOORS IN A SPACE OF 78 IN BY 78 IN I KNOW HOW TO DO THE WITH BUT SINCE OF ALL DOORS ARE 80 IN HIGH I NEED ONE 77IN HIGH AND THEY ARE HOLLOW. THANKS. LOVE YOUR WEB SITE . LARRY

5. phil

I have a 13" wide by 84" tall by 1/2" thick glass panel that is to be installed in a ceramic tiled opening in a shower stall. This will result in a short wall that is chamfered between two tiled walls (these walls would be at a right angle but for the chamfered wall).

This glass panel will be held in place by 100% silicone sealant.
    My question: how to cleanly spread the silicone where the gap between the edge of the glass and the tile is about 1/4".

Thank you.