Painting Fiberglass Doors & Finishing Tips

1. Bill

I have a fiberglass entrance door that gets the full morning sun and is peeling of a clear coat, because it looks like it got sunburn and is now peeling! How do I remove the rest of the clear coat and what would be a good product to apply a new clear coat?
    Thank you, Bill

Bill,

Lots to discuss. This is why I have my 15-Minute Phone Call.

• PHYLLIS LYNCH

existing fiberglass door was stained exterior door is peeling what can I doo? How to make it look better

2. andrea adams

I would like to paint my fiberglass door with an enamel paint. It is currently stained and sealed with polyurthane. What do I have to do to get it ready?

Andrea, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. David

When painting a fiberglass entry door, I got an area too thick. I rubbed out this area, but now have a spot that is peeled off or blotchy. Can I just sand that area out and repaint?

Yes.

4. S. Noss

We just stained our fiberglass front door with a gel stain. It took almost 72 hours to dry because of low temperature and very high humidity and the cold humid weather is expected to continue. The door never receives direct sunlight and only limited amount of splashing water. Would a topcoat (spar urethane or others) be required? Can we wait a month for better weather to add the top coat? Also is there anything wrong or a huge disadvantage with the spray spar urethane?

What do the written instructions say to do?????? From the door manufacturer?

5. Bill
    February 14, 2015

I am painting the front entry door. I want the inside of the door to be the white of the inside trim but the outside to be a color. Where, on the edge of the door, do I make the transition from white to color? Should the color be flush with the front, wrap around the four edges, or something in between?

6. Cher
    March 6, 2016

Bill, whenever you're painting a door you paint the edge the same color as the room that the door opens in to. In the case of your front door it opens into the room in your house so it should be painted the color of that room. You indicated white. So paint the edges white. However, if there is already a solid coat of paint without chips on the top and bottom of the door don't bother painting those surfaces. They can't be seen anyway. It can cause the door to rub if they get painted too much. You really only need to include the lock and hinge edges.

7. anna

hi, can I stain or pain over an existing stained fiberglass dark brown garage door? I want to restain or pain it lighter. its a home in florida, thanks

8. Kristy
    June 18, 2016

We have a fiberglass door that has a door skin. The front of the door is painted a dark blue and the inside view of the door is white. What are our options? We would love a brown or stained look on both sides. Can we replace the door skin? Should we just paint over the blue? or can we sand the blue off and start over? We also get lots of sun and this door get so hot. Any help is appreciated.