Poured Concrete Walls vs. Concrete Block

1. dan

In general, while a poured concrete wall may be stronger...it also may not be necessary. For example. If you are building a wood frame wall with a window, and a 2x6 header is adequate to support the loads above, then you don't need to spend the money on a 2x12 header. For the foundation the same is true, if a concrete block wall (whether reinforced or not) is adequate, and typically quicker to put up, why spend the money and time (time=money) on a poured concrete wall.

• Ted

From the cost perspective this is true. But when you spend the same amount of money to buy the house, you always want to have a better quality.

2. Rob
    December 8, 2013

Hi Tim, we are about to start building our home and boundary wall in Cebu , Philippines, we will be using the column, beam and hollow block process, my question is to do with the filling of the hollow block after its laid. Standard procedure they use is to lay the hollow block a course at a time and fill the brick with the mortar mix, they do have horizontal rio every 3 courses and vertical rio every 600mm, I have read many blogs saying that filling the hollow block with a concrete mix of , cement sand and gravel gives a stronger wall. Is this true, what would the mix be, and the process, my understanding would be they lay the mortar on the brick edges and webs then place next block on top and so on up to 3 to 4 rows then fill with the cement mix, then repeat, your advice would be greatly appreciated , thanks , rob

December 31, 2013

I would read all of my columns about concrete block and the proper way to reinforce these walls. I tell you exactly how to do it in my past columns.

3. mike
    December 6, 2014

i am planning to build an effiecient home about 30 miles from Tacloban in the Philippines inland. How deep can i go with a basement in such areas? I planned on a 4-6 ft deep basement with a styrofoam dome over the top. The inground poured cement area would give us an added benefit to the hot climate there.

December 6, 2014

Well, I'd be inclined to hire an excavator that can dig the hole. That's how I'd approach the project. Make sure you have great drainage so you don't build an indoor swimming pool.

• Bill

I was in Palo just south of Tacloban Nov 8th 2013 I would build the foundation 5 to 6 feet above grade unless you would like an indoor pool with various critters swimming in it. I was hit by a 20 foot storm surge and my first floor room filled to the ceiling with water with me in it. I am thinking also what construction will withstand the next typhoon and how to build a strong roof that will stay on. we would build in MacArthur about 45 min south of Tacloban

4. Ria Ramos
    February 11, 2016

Hello I'm working on a project to make a 606 m concrete wall that is 6 feet, how much do you think that will cost and how long will it take?

5. Mike Saelm
    March 3, 2016

Hi,
    If I have retaining wall ( concrete block), 9000 LB what kind and demotions of foundation I should use please?

6. Helli Guys

Hi Tim
    I have a hoyse in Phil, with a poured wall. I am pkannng to expand the house to first floor, is hallow blocks wall better than poured wall?

Best regards
    Wendy