Calculating Water Pressure Loss

1. dave

Hello I have a calculation to figure out and you seem to have the easiest to understand math that I can relate to.
    This is for my daughters house in the country where a 6 inch water line is available to hook into. Once water goes through water vault 1inch hook up and 60 psi delivery. The distance we have to go is 2000 feet and have been told to use 2 inch black plastic tubing/pipe off a roll.
    Could you please tell me if this is correct or could we use smaller water line?

I'd use no less than 2-inch.

2. jim

I have a 400 ft run to a new house which is feeding off a 1 1/2 main. Should this house run be 3/4 or 1" PVC thanks

jim, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. Rodney

I like to know what the answer is about running 400 ft from meter to house

There are lots of variables. It requires a phone consult.

4. Bill Wilson

I have a 3/4" feed from the main to feed my new house. The distance is 300'. Will running a 1" line from a 3/4" feed give me more pressure at the house? I was concerned about the up sizing from a smaller feed.

Bill, after reading my column and looking at the table about pressure loss, what do you think the answer is?

5. mickey

Off a 3/4 meter tap @60psi running 2000ft can we use 2" PVC to supply a 3 bath house

6. Jufri
    June 24, 2015

My hose is 3/4" inside diameter, 10 metres in length with a mains water pressure of 500kPa. How would i find the water pressure

7. mike

The city is providing 110 psi from the meter in a 1 1/2 inch pipe that supplys 26 trailers about 1000 ft of pipe how much water pressure is lost? The water supply lines to the trailers range from 3/4 inch to 1 inch.

8. Damon Walters

I have a 3/4 at the meter. with 60 PSI I'm running it 2000 feet do I need to run a 2" line or smaller if so what would my pressure loss be.

9. Jeff N2HPO

Tim, The question is not worded properly. The size of the pipe does not effect the pressure, it effects the capacity, friction loss, thus pressure loss. In your answer you added the key words, pressure loss. The question does not state that, the diameter will effect pressure loss.

10. Charlie from the LA DWP

The inside diameter of a pipe has nothing to do with pressure- it's volume of water.

11. Chuck

Sorry Tim, your question did not mention any flow. if there is no flow the pressure will be the same everywhere. No flow, no pressure drop.