Framing A Door Video

Hi, I'm Tim Carter and I'm here at a residential job site in New Hampshire. I want to show you a little about wall framing and wall construction and how it's done. This is what is behind the drywall in your home and you don't typically see it.

This door opening will lead to the garage, but look at the two studs running vertically on the side of the door frame. The stud away from the opening is called the King Stud. This stud runs all the way from the bottom plate to the top plate.

The other stud is called the Jack Stud. This stud is shorter and ends at the door frame header. The door header has two other 2x6's that run up and down (hidden behind the insulation). These short studs will allow support for the floor joists that will run above them.

So the interior Jack Stud is like a support column for the header. You wouldn't want to depend on just nails driven through the studs to support that weight.

That is a quick overview of the door framing behind the drywall in your home. Window framing is almost the same.

3 Responses to Framing A Door Video

1. Just a quick question my wife and I just bought an older home that was built in 1896 the entry door is 36x84 what would I need to build it down these 84 doors get kinda pricey especaily the storms so i would like to bring it down to 36x80 a more common size to reduce cost

2. in a new home construction the builder was fired for many mistakes. The door frames are too high making the drypack cement floor base very deep. Would it look too bad to add another header piece to drop down the door and use a wider do trim to cover the extra header? This is on all the doors in the house. If not i will just have to double float the flooring to bring up the height.
    thanks
    Ron