Toilet Repair Instructions for 10 Common Problems

1. SHANI

how do i adjust the water level in the toilet bowl? The toilet is a Gerber flushometer toilet - no tank. The water level is too high - one gets wet when they sit down - This toilet was installed within the last year and a half and is a higher than standard height toilet.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. This is for my elderly parents and I would love to help them.

• SHANI

try to clean the drain

2. SHANI

how do I adjust the water level in a gerber flushometer toilet bowl. It is too high.

• Jeff D. Rhiner

Try taking the lid off them you will see a nylon Screw with a slot for a standard screwdriver turn the screw just a little bit clockwise and see if that helps, If it help's a bit turn it a bit more until you find the correct level you desire!

3. Paula
    November 20, 2013

I have lived in this house since 1999. Initially there was no problem with the toilet, then a few years ago it stopped flushing properly. Most often the solid contents remained in the bowl and I would have to plunge in order to drain. One of my close neighbours (2 doors over) mentioned that he had the same problem; he also kept a plunger handy.
    Houses in my area were built with downspouts feeding into the storm sewer system. The city offered a free disconnect for anyone interested. When they checked my situation, they said they could disconnect the one in the rear but not the one at the side (there was no place to divert the water). After the disconnect, for several months I did not have a problem flushing. Now I do again. *sigh*
    I will try your suggestion as I have suspected that the holes are plugged.
    On another note, recent news says that so-called flushable wipes are plugging up the system. There was an article talking about a mass the size of a bus found in the sewage system in a city in Britain. the mass contained wipes and discarded (vegetable) oil, etc. I have long thought that people dumped their used fry oil down the toilet. I still have a container of used oil from the 1 time I tried a deep fryer. We have an accessible, free drop off spot for hazardous waste so I will take the oil with me when I bring in used batteries.
    Just looking for your comments or suggestions.

4. DCE
    November 20, 2013

Thanks!

5. dave
    November 20, 2013

my "favorite" right now is the "jiggle the handle" problem where the flapper gets caught on the chain. any suggestions?

yes, adjust the chain or get a new flapper valve kit.

6. don
    November 21, 2013

thanks tim bless you and your family

7. Susan Keiss
    December 21, 2013

Toilet flushes
    Tank fills
    Continues to fill for at least moment more and water is wasted
    Water bill increased

December 31, 2013

Float adjustment on the fill valve is wrong. Adjust so it turns off sooner.

8. Tammy

Our toilet is 18 years old and the flapper starting sticking and then leaking. We bought a new one and it seems to be doing the same thing. Not seating properly. Any suggestions?

9. Mary Lou Hoppe
    February 18, 2014

When flushing the toilet the bowl fills to the top the water will slowly run all the way down and flush and there will be very little water in the bowl after the flush.

What is the problem?

Thank you.

February 25, 2014

You have a clog in the toilet trap or the pipe beneath the toilet.

10. Jerry Ganzkow

When I flush my toto toilet it takes somewhere around 15 minutes at least for the tank to refill to the point where you can flush the toilet again. You can barely hear the tank refilling at all.

Well, it's time to install a new fill valve in the toilet. They're cheap.

11. Jacob
    October 6, 2014

When I flush my toilet it takes between 2-5 seconds for the flush to prime. Once it flushes, it is a full flush and drains properly. The delay in flushing seems to be taking longer each time.

October 15, 2014

Look at flapper valve chain linkage. See about adjusting to get flapper to full up asap.

12. Patty johnson
    October 21, 2014

My toilet ran over yesterday , now it is. Leaking on the right side in the back ,I can't see a crack in the tank, so don't know why it's leaking

October 22, 2014

Did you break the seal between the tank and the bowl by pushing against it? Maybe one of those rubber seals is not tight. Is the water coming from the water line feeding the toilet. Do some detective work. Look for the highest point where you see water.

13. Hope Marie
    November 7, 2014

I live in an apt building and there is a constant hum coming from my toilet area. I do not have a tank. It does not stop when I flush. Ihave seen the water level low a couple of times. But other times its normal. Also you have to hold the lever down for some time to get all the waste down. Or flush a second time.

November 8, 2014

Sounds like you need a new fill valve AND a new flapper valve.

14. Craig
    November 22, 2014

Hi there,

Swell article but i m not sure it addresses my issue. Toilet flushes fine with liquid and most solid waste. Any toilet paper at all though and it stops flushing immediately and I have to plunge. Works fine again after one plunge. Tried a snake - no change really. Any ideas?

November 22, 2014

Look inside the tank for a manufacture date. Is it from the 1990's when they started the low-flush toilets? If it's a first generation low-flush, that could be the issue. Also, some CHEAPER toilets have a HARD 90-bend right where the colon exits the bowl at the toiled flange in the floor. This hard 90 causes all sorts of blockages. Remember it's all about getting water into the bowl FAST. You can also try this. Have paper and solid waste in the toilet and instead of flushing it, pour a 5-gallon bucket of water into the bowl as FAST as you can without splashing. If you get a great flush, then water is not getting from the tank into the bowl fast enough.

15. jason
    November 26, 2014

My 1.6 gal toilet takes a little longer then normal for the tank to fully fill up then when the fill valve stops I see the water in the bowl start dropping. Is that a clog in the colon? Toilet flushes OK with solids. If its a clog how do I unclog it?

November 26, 2014

I doubt it's a clog. You can test for clogs by filling a five-gallon bucket with water and pour it into the bowl as fast as you can without creating a huge mess. If the toilet takes all the water without filling up the bowl, and you get a massive suction sound as the last water leaves the bowl, you're clog free.

Plungers work great if you know how to use one. Most people don't.

16. Matthew Alexander
    November 28, 2014

When the toilet is flushed, water slowly goes through the flapper. It takes over a minute for the water to exit the tank. It appears that there is somekind of blockage. Meanwhile, the bowl barely receives any flow. I have cleaned the jets out, and this hasn't helped. What may be the problem, and how do I fix this? Thanks.

November 29, 2014

Take the tank lid off. Flush the toilet by pulling up on the chain attached to the flapper valve. Get the flapper up vertically. What happens now? How good is the flush? If it's great, you need to take some slack out of the flapper valve chain.

17. Matthew Alexander
    November 29, 2014

Water isn't flowing through the flapper. It is as if something is blocking the flow of water.

18. Jim
    December 10, 2014

Toilet has worked fine for years (at least 10). I have replaced flapper and valve stem periodically. I clean the filter of small stones when needed. New problem: toilet flushes fine for a while, then flushes "deeply" with a pronounced "gurgle" at the end of a flush, whereupon bowl only partially fills with water. Tank seems to be working fine. Plunging 2 to 3 times seems to fix it, but only for a few flushes. Tried a cleanser product called "Zep Commercial Toilet Care TuneUp" unsuccessfully.

December 11, 2014

Sounds like an improperly adjusted flapper valve to me. You test this by taking the tank lid off and initiating MANUAL FLUSHES where you pull up the chain of the flapper valve and HOLD THE VALVE UP COMPLETELY until all water is out of the tank. If you get the robust flush you want, then this tells you the flapper is closing too fast or not opening up all the way soon enough.

• Jim
        December 11, 2014

Good thought. But I've since discovered the problem was something else. I had thoughtlessly placed the little hose to the overflow drain in the tank on the wrong side! So the water that was supposed to be going into the overflow tube and then to the toilet bowl was being diverted to the tank. The tank was filling very quickly due to the excess flow. Turning the little hose to the overflow tube solved the problem.

19. Anthony
    December 13, 2014

My toilets keep clogging. It starts with my daughter's bathroom. Flushing becomes slow and then sewage will start coming from the base of the toilet in the master bathroom followed by the showers. Plumbers keep coming out, snaking the pipe, and then claiming that we are flushing too much toilet paper. The problem has been reoccurring every other day since November 17th. The first time the plumber came out, his snake auger caught fire, so they've been using a smaller one since. My daughters (2 and 5) are now afraid to use toilet paper and flush the toilet. I know we're not flushing too much paper, but the plumber and landlord won't figure out what the main problem is. The last time it flooded while the dishwasher was running. The time before that we had leaves and food come up. Can you help shine some light on our situation?

December 14, 2014

Leaves come out? There's your answer. The sewer line to the street is CLOGGED. This is not rocket science. Hire a drain cleaning company that can put a CAMERA down the building drain so you can see the entire drain line from the base of a stack all the way out to the sewer tap at the street.

20. Ron
    December 24, 2014

Just in the last two weeks I have noticed that all 3 toilets in my house will flush fine with just liquid waste but will struggle to flush with solid waste. When I use a plunger, the clog goes away quickly. I can understand there being a clog in one toilet causing the problem to exist in that particular toilet, but what would cause the issue to occur in all 3 toilets? And what can I do? Thanks.

December 30, 2014

Is it possible the toilets are all suffering from lime buildup under the rim or around the syphon jet hole? READ all about this in other Toilet columns here at my website.

21. Tom
    December 28, 2014

When toilet flushes, get back splash of water that leaves water drops on underside of seat and seat cover. Checked vent for blockage. Could feel suction as toilet flushed.

22. Lou Burns
    December 29, 2014

After flushing our toilet, the water level in the bowl is low. While flushing, I lifted the top of the water closet and water spewed out from the closet. I dried everything and flushed again and, even with the top on the closet, I felt water coming from under the closet lid. What could be causing this?

December 30, 2014

The flexible hose that connects at the base of the fill valve may not be pointing down the overflow tube in the tank.

23. Mary
    December 31, 2014

After flushing, the tank fills to the water line. Then it starts draining until it gets about and inch lower and then it fills back up again. And then without flushing, it continues this process. The toilet is only about 6 months old. Ironically, the 'old' toilet in the guest bathroom is doing the same thing. I can hear both toilets filling up on their own.

December 31, 2014

If you hear water go into a toilet tank on it's own after the fill valve stops filling the tank, this means your flapper valve is allowing water to leak into the bowl. Once the water drops to a certain level in the tank, the fill valve turns back on to replenish the water. Read all about flapper valves here on my website to correct the issue.

24. Dianne
    December 31, 2014

We live on the first floor of a quad, 2 story building, recently this year (lived here 10yrs no issues) we started having a plumbing issue with our toilet water level dropping slow and then a rush of water came into the tank to fill. But it would happen so sudden and so fierce it would scare you! Sounds like our toilet is about to rocket blast off to space! as if air is being shot through the pipes! After trying for months to figure what was cause this, it was only happening while our upstairs neighbor was home, but we can't figure out what she is doing and isn't one we can approch(we tried very unsuccessful and ended with her pissed at us for "blaming" her) shes a pill! soooo we brought in a plumber who changed our flapper valve and the problem stopped! Until yesterday! It's only been 2 months since he fixed it. But it's back to happening again only if the neighbor is home but we can't hear any toilets flushing upstairs it would be heard here. Very thin floors and walls! Plus here pipes come through our walls. So what could she possible be doing that makes our toilet drain when she's home? Or causing such a harsh fill? We're awaiting a new appointment with another replacement of the valve.

December 31, 2014

Dianne, this has nothing to do with the "pill". Your flapper valve is leaking. Plain and simple.

25. Dianne

okay thanks we'll keep replacing it

26. Amy

We just moved into a 30 year old home and are having problems with our toilet tank not filling at all. The water valve is turned on all the way. The toilet is probably only 5-7 years old, and has a Fluidmaster. Any idea what's causing the tank not to fill?

Yes. Sediment is clogging the fill valve IF you hold up the float ball and water fails to come into the tank. Install a new fill valve.

27. Nabila

Hi can you help we have the new push button toilets and last week it's playing up when u flush the loo it's taking ages to fill the tank and also making a hissing noise while it's fill the tank. Thanks

You need a new fill valve or get the sediment out of the existing one.

28. Jo

I have the same question as Tom of 12/28/14, but can't find the answer..."When toilet flushes, get back splash of water that leaves water drops on underside of seat and seat cover. Checked vent for blockage. Could feel suction as toilet flushed."

Be HAPPY you have that much force coming out of the tank! You want that kind of energy for a robust flush! Just wipe off the droplets.

29. Art

I had to replace my fill valve because it would not stop when the float rose to the top to shut it off. After I replaced it, the toilet fills OK and stops at the water line, but now it doesn't flush right. The stopper opens right up, but the water rises to the top of the bowl and then slowly goes out of the drain. It flushed fine before I replaced the valve.

• Lynn

I hope you will answer this question, as I have the same problem. In addition to what is described by the person above, once all the water slowly goes out of the bowl, it gurgles and continues to suction/syphon for up to 20 seconds. The bowl water never rises back to what would be a "normal" level. and always slowly drains down until it gurgles/syphons, and then just stays there.Pouring a large amount of water from a 5 gal. container does not improve the flush/draining. Same thing happens. I have been able to clear this troublesome toilet in the past, using a plunger, hot water and soap, but it clogs again fairly soon. I no longer put ANY paper or wipes or anything else down the toilets. I suspect that it may be a clog where the toilet drain pipe meets the vent pipe. That bathroom has one vent that serves the sink and toilet, and one for the shower. I cannot get up on the roof to check the vents. In the other bathroom, if I take a tub bath, then the water in that toilet syphons out, and then will not flush well until a couple of hours later. One story on slab with main bath on front of house, and master bath on back of house, with main drain on a straight line from one to the other.
      What troubleshooting should I do before I call someone to check the vents and drains?

30. Lisa
    February 7, 2015

Just as our toilet finishes filling, there is a high pitched hum that is heard. It only lasts for 2 seconds. Any ideas?

February 8, 2015

Yes. It's vibration inside the fill valve. Replacing the fill valve will solve the issue.

31. Matthew Roberts
    February 13, 2015

My toilet has back pressure when first flushed and it lets out a big bubble that splashes. The toilet almost fills to the top before it starts to drain and does not flush toilet paper or solid waste very well at all.

I've checked by manually going into the back of the toilet and pulling the cable really quickly to flush. Water goes into the toilet fast, but does not go down fast. I've also felt to see if pressure is coming out from the bottom water area and it has lots of pressure. Cleaned under the lip of the toilet where the water comes for bowl cleaning.

I can get solid waste to go down by plunging, which leads me to believe it is a clogged toilet. After plunging and getting everything to go down it happens again with the next flush even without solid waste. Big bubble and splash. Once the water does go down it leave the water level very very low in the toilet and you hear bubbling noises.

Please help as this is driving me nuts and we have resorted to not using our second washroom.

32. Christine
    February 24, 2015

Every now and then when you go to flush out toilet it seems like it starts up fine but then after about 10 seconds in the flush stops. Try again, same thing. We adjusted the water level a few weeks ago when it happened first. It just now started again. Any idea why the toilet is stopping the flush after 10 seconds in?

February 24, 2015

Christine,

Yes. The flapper valve is dropping down too fast. Shorten the chain one link at a time until it's fixed. PLEASE subscribe to my funny and FREE newsletter if you want tips like this twice a week without asking!

33. Christine
    February 25, 2015

Thanks! We will try this. 🙂

34. Phil
    March 1, 2015

Hi Tim- you are definitely the foremost expert on all things toilets! Here's a new one for you: my toilet had normal water level until I did an added a new bathroom to the house. Now, the water level is very low. How can I get my normal water level back? PS I'm on a septic system. Thank you Tim!

March 1, 2015

When you slowly pour water into the bowl of this toilet after a flush is complete and the tank is filed, what happens over the next few hours? Does the level stay the same? If not, you'll need to order one of my phone consults to talk this through.

35. Tara walker
    March 2, 2015

When we flush our toilet it fills very full and won't fully drain. I have cleaned all the holes in the bowl with no change. I have noticed when we flush abit of water and a bubble will come out of the over flow in the tank. What would causes this and is this our problem??

36. Steve Bankes

My toilet in master sometimes does not flush. It will flush and then all of a sudden bowl will just fill and it will slowly drain down I am talking hours . I went up on roof and ran a snake down the vent , it had some blockage but was not issue. It would still notflunot flush. Ran a toilet snake in and found no blockage. This happens just every once in a while, sometime will happen every couple days sometime once in a couple weeks. It usually last about a day and then it will flush fine for a while. I am baffled, I keep thinkinking it is some kind of air lock.

What happens when you pour a 5-gallon bucket of water into the bowl as FAST as possible? If there's NO clog, it will take all the water as fast as you can pour it.

37. JIm

Wow - lots of useful information here Tim - I've bookmarked the page for future reference.

My issue is I've fitted a new siphon and filler. As the cistern fills up we get quite loud glug/pop/bubble sounds - not continuous - just individual ones with variable time between them. This is during the fill only - the flush works great. They are quiet loud and very intrusive if someone has a call of nature during the night.

For reference the siphon is one of the wickes double flush ones - setup for maximum volume (plugs left in), and the filler is one of the cheaper fluidmaster ones. I have experimented by trying both with and without the flow restrictor in the fluidmaster - but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

38. judith francis

hi,

we have push button type flush. The push button doesn't come up at all .

I unscrewed and opened the flush, i am able to flush if I pull the white centeral pipe up. but the top part ,I dont know the techinical name doest come back.

does this mean I need to get a new one ?

39. Joey Dawes

Hey Tim,
    I believe someone else had/asked about the same problem I'm having, but would like to be 100% sure that's the problem before I transform myself into a plumber. The toilet flushes just fine, but it fills up very slowly and you can hear the water barely running. But if you turn the water off then right back on, the water flow is normal and fills up like it's supposed to. So, is this just a fill valve problem too, or is there more to this? Thank you in advance.

40. Chris
    June 1, 2015

Tim, thank you so much for this excellent post! This is great info.

41. Bobby ratliff
    June 3, 2015

My commode flushes three times before flapper closes causing ALL the water to drain from tank.....could this be caused by the flapper and should I try a new one?

42. Lori
    June 4, 2015

Toto toilet. Flushes fine, I hear it fill then stop. Then the filler adds more water to the tank in short bursts, 5 or so times. Thought it was a leak, replaced flapper, and it continued. I lifted the tank lid to watch and I now see that the first fill actually only goes to about half an inch below the fwaterline on the tank, then the short bursts happen until it reaches the line and they stop.

43. Lynn
    June 23, 2015

Hi,
    I just moved into an apartment with a strange toilet issue. I have to flush the toilet once to fill the tank (nothing happens in the bowl), wait for the tank to fill, then flush again to actually FLUSH the toilet. I checked and the tank does seem to be filling up after the flush to. Also, if you flush immediately afterwards it works, but after about a minute you have to repeat the whole process...Any ideas?

44. Monika
    June 27, 2015

My toilet water level keeps leaking dropping. I have changed everything in the toilet
    ..flapper, bulb.. Everything. Toilet still runs, fills a little, stops running and then seconds later, runs again.

45. W.I.

I have a Toto Aquia II two piece dual flush. It flushes fine, but the moment the bowl and tank empty the water stops in hesitation, then starts to fill for a few seconds, stops again and fills and will repeat 4-5 times until the water level is reached in the tank. What is causing the stop and go of the water filling the tank?

• TREBON
      December 3, 2015

Did you ever get an answer to that stop-start behavior on your toilet? I have the same problem

46. BJ

Ok I live in a manufactured home in a park.. I have to hold handle down till it completely flushes..but water continues to flow into bowl, water is moving in bowl.. I've checked with food coloring it's not coming from the tank!! I always hear it running continually, the only way to stop is to turn off water that goes to the tank...please where's this water coming from? And my bill is on the rise and I live in California and we have to watch our water or we can get fined!! I am a senior on a fixed income can't afford alot. Would you be able to tell me what us going on & how to fix?

47. Marilyn Keller

I have a Toto ST706-01 originally purchased in 2000, (but with a new tank in 2008 due to a hairline crack). The problem is that every few seconds, there is a slow stream of about a half dozen bubbles coming from the copper pipe open at the bottom of the tank coming from the left (flush handle) side of the tank. Otherwise, the toilet works fine. Is this a water leak, and how should I fix it? Thanks.

48. Taylor

My husband installed a new flush kit on our toilet when it was constantly running because the little stopper/cork wouldn't close completely. It doesn't run now but now there's no water flushing down around the bowl. So like if there's a piece of tp on the side of the bowl it doesn't go down when flushed, only the contents IN the water. It's driving me crazy. Also it seems like it's using too much water when flushing. All the contents will be flushed right away but water continues to flow strongly at the bottom of the bowl for a while, then the bowl finally fills. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

49. Marci

My toilet is driving me crazy!!! It will flush just fine for several flushes or even for several days then all of a sudden it will randomly overflow,even with no solid waste. I have snaked it, cleaned out the siphone holes and have even put a liquid clog remover down it. Nothing has seemed to work.

50. Peter
    October 4, 2015

I have a new one piece toilet with dual flush valve installed. The tank fills up with a good amount of water. When I flush, the tank empties at a good rate, but only a little water enters the bowl itself and provides a very weak flush. If it's only pee in the bowl, the water is still yellow after a full flush. I have flushed with full tank at least 50 times but there is no water leaking anywhere. What is happening and where is the water going to instead? Also, when I pour half a bucket of water into the bowl, the bowl empties fast and cleanly.

51. Michelle
    October 9, 2015

I was having a problem with my toilet. When you flushed the tank wouldn't fill back up with water. So I went out and brought a toilet valve, changed it and my toilet is still doing the same thing.

52. Matthew
    November 28, 2015

How do I fix my toilet so I don't have to use a bucket of water to make the water go down it'll flush but it's like it don't have enough pull to make the water flush out the bowl

53. Lucy
    December 5, 2015

We just replaced our AS toilet with a Kohler Cimarron. We have replaced toilets before as this is not our first home. The new toilet works, has no leaks, and is level... However, there's a gap between the tank and the bowl to fit a bottle cap, making it unstable and rocks/wobbles. Have you any such experience with and/or resolution for this toilet tank issue?

54. Andrew

I had a low flow toilet installed on the ground floor of our house. Now when we flush the upstairs toilet the handle has to be held down until all the water had drained from the bowl or it will overflow. Is this caused by the low flow toilet? And what can I do if it is?

55. Marilyn
    February 7, 2016

The toilet has Sooooo much suction you can hardly flush the toilet it's like you have to push Sooooo hard you fill like the handle is going to break. What? And How? Should we fix this issue.

56. Solange
    March 1, 2016

Hello.

My toilet has just started flooding my bathroom from the back. It only does this when its flushed.
    The tank is holding water fine; none in floor and cannot find a crack in tank anywhere.
    Bowl fills, empties fine when flushed and fills back up. However, when I flush its like the tank just cracked in half and water pours out everywhere.

Please help, I don't understand why water keeps draining out.

Thank you in advance.

• Denise

Did you find a solution ... this just started happening in one of our toilets too ... we were not using this toilet for about three months and now that we have started using it again ... have the same problem as you have.

57. Karen

Sorry Tim, I gave you the wrong e mail address. I blended mine and my husbands

58. Jackie Kovarovics

We have a house that has been remodeled with a finished basement and attic. Recently the toilet in the basement bathroom has not been flushing, even after using a plunger and using a 5 gallon bucket to "flush" it out.

So we replaced the toilet and thought we would be ok. Sadly, no and we have noticed small backups in the shower in the same basement bathroom and the sink is slow to drain.

We have snaked the entire line using a 25 ft snake and have seen no progress.There is one sewer clean out in our mechanical room, but it is facing a framed and drywalled wall- literally facing the wall, so we are afraid to open it and damage the wall with waste water.

Any suggestions for us before we go the plumber route? We are open to any insight you folks may have. Thanks SO much!

59. Louise B

Hi - Now this is a weird one. I'm in a first floor apt and in the main bathroom the toilet looks like it has pee in it even though no one has used the loo. I'd flush that away and the water is clear and the water in the cistern is clear too but the mystery yellow water comes back. I was away for two weeks (so no one at all in the apt) and came back to disgusting brown water obviously a build up of yellow pee like water coming from somewhere !!!

60. Caitlin
    June 8, 2016

Hi my flush valve broke off of my flapper so i installed a new one but it seems like the suction on the flapper isnt strong enough because it sounds like water is leaking through after I flush. It doesnt sound like its running still just like a dripping.... Is it the flexible tube? What do I do?

61. Caitlin
    June 8, 2016

I mean the chain broke from the flapper...

62. Dawn

I'm not getting any water coming from the floor hose to the toilet tank it was flushing and then all of the sudden no water coming into the tank what's causing this

63. Bethany

My toilet wont flush alone. The hubby just changed the chain and it seems to work fine he says it's the pump but I'm not sure that's right. If you trigger the pump at the bottom it drops and starts to full and then flushes fine. But them it wont fill up till it's trigger and drops down again. What could be the problem?