What is Smokey Film on Car Windshields and Windows

1. Doug

I have seen such a situation when the car has a heater core leak.

2. Susan

At last I know what that film is! I hate it because the slant of the windshield makes it hard to remove.

3. lathechuck

I've found that a small squeegee works much better than any absorbent wiper for window cleaning, even the windshield. I stuff a towel into the narrow space at the bottom to catch runoff, and use a second towel to wipe the rubber blade dry after each swipe. No streaks or smears!

4. Fred

Tim,
    I know you are an alchemist, but how do you know all these things?
    Actually, you must be a Wizard! I always wondered what was fouling my windshield on the interior. I thought it was from running the heater or AC. I'll be darned! Thanks for the tip.

• Jenny

Fred - Ha, ha, ha! I thought that, too, though - how does he know this?! I thought it was just the dirt from the outside world getting in when the doors open or from the vents. Interesting.

5. Jim Carpenter

I use a microfiber towel and a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol. It works great.

6. victor

thanks for the very useful tip Mr. Tim

7. Chuck M.

Another idea: If you use an automated car wash consider putting the car's vent system on recirculate when you run through. Theory being, the waxes and whatever else they spray on the car may be being sucked in and coating everything. If you can smell it, it's in there.

8. Rosemary Hughes
    March 13, 2015

At DollartreeI bought some short handled little cleaners that are microfiber over a thin layer of foam the cleaning pad is triangular. They are easy to work down into the narrow space at the bottom .