How to Install Shower Drain Pipe Part 2 Video

Tim Carter demonstrates the steps to take in order to place and appropriately measure the PVC to install the shower drain.

5 Responses to How to Install Shower Drain Pipe Part 2 Video

1. Very interesting Tim how differently things are done in the US compared to the UK. Here building regs would not allow burying a trap in concrete as it must be remain accessible. Must either have a rodding eye or be a bottle trap.

2. tim just an idea on trying to figure out which direction your drain pipe went before you dug up the floor would be to use your flir camera that hooks on to your phone and run hot water down the drain and then follow it with the camera to see which direction your pipe went.

• Mike,

That's not a bad idea. I wonder how much hot water it would take over what amount of time to heat up the concrete to get a reading. The issue I see is the pipe is underneath the insulation and it could take a heck of a long time before any heat would make it through the insulation and then heat up the concrete.

3. Great tips as always!

When we did our basement shower we actually ran a three inch drain under the concrete. The vertical to the shower was 2 inch. I understand you already had a two inch drain and embedded floor warming pipes which we did not have.

We ran that same three inch drain to connect the sink and toilet to a nearby stack about 12 feet away. If slope/distance is an issue, sometimes you can get away with a smaller slope with a larger (3 inch) pipe. We used an Air Admittance Valve to vent the system. Twelve years later no problems.

Tracing the path of the drain underneath the concrete is both and art and a science. If one really thinks about it and takes into consideration the other drains and important - the floor clean-out to the main drain out, one can usually calculate the direction of the pipes.

Might even help to "chalk" out the path on the floor to "see" if everything (visually) makes sense.

4. Thanks for the video. I am also a plumber and would like to add what I think is the best way to cut up to 2" PVC pipe. Milwaukee makes a PVC shear that makes a slick cut with no burrs on the pipe. They are a battery tool that you can take under a house to make all your cuts 2 inches and under and the battery will hold up all day. I also bought a Milwaukee copper cutter that will cut copper that is so accurate that you can cut exact or within 1/32 of an inch. I have cut a bunch of stub outs for showers 6 1/2 inches in advance out of scrap copper and it saves time. By the way, I know everyone does not have one of the Milwaukee PVC shears, but they are nice.