Roof Maxx Review

Roof Maxx® Review

This is a virtual review about a product and service sold by a USA company called Roof Maxx®. I say virtual because I’ve not used the product on my roof and even if I did, I don’t possess the scientific experience nor my own certified testing labs to tell you if the product does what the Roof Maxx® company claims that it does. I doubt you have that expertise either.

I can tell you that I wrote an authoritative book, Roofing Ripoff, about asphalt shingles that deteriorate sooner than they should. This short easy-to-read book contains what I know to be the root cause of this deterioration, and a simple low-cost one-time fix that you can do to make sure your asphalt shingles last 30, 40, and possibly 50 years.

CAVEAT: Any of the following information that is not taken from the Roof Maxx® website, literature, or videos invoking the Fair Use doctrine is my opinion. My opinions are based on years of hand-on roofing experience and input from scientists and roofing industry leaders that have shared their experience and knowledge with me.

What is Roof Maxx®?

This question can be answered looking at the text on the Roof Maxx® website current  as of March 10, 2020:

roof maxx review

Copyright 2020 Roof Maxx® 

What is the rejuvenating spray treatment?

Roof Maxx® installers spray on a soybean based chemical that contains a soy methyl ester emulsion (SMEE). The spray may also contain  some sort of cleaning agent because Roof Maxx® claims that the spray cleans algae off roofs as part of the application.

How Long Does the Treatment Last?

Roof Maxx® is only willing to offer a five-year warranty. Look closely at the warranty language as no doubt it’s prorated. The more important consideration is, how can you make a valid claim that the product has failed and your roof is in worse shape than just after the spray was applied?

How Much Does Roof Maxx® Cost?

The video on their website as of March 10, 2020 says that the cost of the treatment is approximately 20 percent of the cost of replacing your shingle roof with new shingles. In other words, it’s an expensive product to apply. The average cost could be around $2,000 - $2,400.

How Does Roof Maxx® Work?

The Roof Maxx® company states that the patented SMEE solution replaces lost oils in the shingles, restoring their flexibility and waterproofing capability.  Here’s exactly what Roof Maxx® says about how their product works.

roof maxx

Copyright 2020 Roof Maxx

In the Roof Maxx® PBS Mini Documentary video on the Roof Maxx® website the narrator says:

“When installed, roof shingles have essential oil in the asphalt that allow for daily expansion and contraction. And as they age, the oil begins to dry out causing the asphalt to become brittle and crack.”

Are My Asphalt Shingles Falling Apart Because They’re Losing Oil?

In my opinion, the primary reason your shingles are falling apart is because the asphalt used to make them is not as high quality as it could have been. While there could be some oil loss, any older roofer can tell you that asphalt shingles made in the 1960s and 1970s would last for decades.

If oil loss was the primary reason for failure, then all those shingles all those years ago would have exhibited brittleness or cracking in 7-10 years. The truth is they didn’t. I offer up proof of this in my Roofing Ripoff book.

I was fortunate to have a deep-throat source for my Roofing Ripoff expose’ book. This person grew up in the asphalt shingle manufacturing business. He was also a prominent and well-known leader within the asphalt roofing industry.

He reached out to me after reading a column of mine in the Washington Post where I lamented about my failed asphalt shingle roof. I shared in that column how the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association rebuked my request for answers to probing questions about why asphalt shingles were failing all across the USA.

Asphalt roofing shingles are falling apart much faster than they used to because many of the manufacturers are pre-aging the asphalt used to make the shingles. They’re blowing too much air into the asphalt before it’s applied to the mat that makes the shingles. I cover this in great detail in my Roofing Ripoff  book.

Some air is required to be blown into asphalt so it doesn’t liquify and flow off your roof on a hot summer day. But blowing too much air into the asphalt starts to make it brittle where it loses its ability to hold on tightly to the colored ceramic granules and retain its flexibility

This extra oxygen causes too many asphalt molecules to cross-link to one another and the resulting asphalt shingles are then prone to being brittle even before they’re applied to a roof. The proof of this lies in the fact that many new asphalt shingle roofs experience granule loss in the months after the roof is applied. The granule loss continues to happen until such time as the roof needs to be replaced. 

The protective ceramic granules start to pop off because of the asphalt’s brittle surface, causing more asphalt to be exposed to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) light. About five percent of UV light contains active photons and these powerful particles blast apart asphalt molecules exposing them to additional oxidation. The additional oxidation causes the shingles to become even more brittle.

When you open most new packs of asphalt shingles, you probably assume they’re new.  The issue is that while they are new, they start to perform as if they’ve already been on your roof 15, 20, or 25 years.

Is it Possible for the Roof Maxx® Soybean Solution to Penetrate Through the Ceramic-Coated Solid-Rock Granules That Cover my Asphalt Shingles?

My college degree is in geology, the study of rocks. The granules on your asphalt shingles are made from rock and then a thin ceramic coating is applied.

A ceramic coating is actually a thin layer of glass. Common sense would dictate that it would be seemingly impossible for any solution to penetrate through glass into the rock and then escape through the underside of the glass-coated granule to eventually get to the asphalt under the colored granules.

The Roof Maxx® company sent me a document where they maintain it can penetrate through glass. Here’s what was said in the document:

When Roof Maxx® is sprayed on an aging asphalt-shingle roof, the treatment penetrates through the granules and is absorbed into the asphalt layer.

I suspect what’s actually happening is the soybean product is actually passing around the granules and being absorbed into the asphalt that way.

Is There Another Method to Slow Down the Deterioration of the Shingles?

Yes. There’s not only another way to achieve the goal that Roof Maxx® is striving for, but it’s also much much cheaper and you only have to do it one time, not every five years as the Roof Maxx® company suggests.

What is the Alternative Method?

All you need to do is place  a wide piece of thin copper at the top of each plane of shingles on your roof. You can apply the copper to a new roof or an existing shingle roof that is not yet showing signs of advanced deterioration like curled edges and large spots where many granules are missing.

copper roof strip

I was the first person in the world to identify that copper prevents the oxidation of asphalt molecules on asphalt shingles. See how easy it is to install this copper in a new-roof installation? CLICK the photo or TAP HERE to order the copper strips. After a few months exposure to the elements, the bright copper dulls down to a nut-brown color.

Each time it rains, a small amount of copper washes onto the shingles. Some of the copper ions attach to the asphalt molecules that have been broken by the UV sunlight. When the copper bonds to the asphalt it prevents the cross-linking of the asphalt molecules that happens under normal oxidation.

Remember, the more asphalt molecules that cross-link, the more brittle the shingles become. The copper chemical reaction slows this cross-linking allowing your shingles to age very slowly.

The advantage of the copper method is that it’s a one-time fix.

You put it on and forget about it. You’ll never have to do anything again as long as you own your home. When you consider that you might be saving yourself from having to get a new roof, the copper method is a reasonably priced fix. You can purchase enough copper for the average roof for less than $400.00 in 2020 dollars.

I was the first person in the world to discover  this beneficial chemical reaction between copper and asphalt. It happened completely by chance one day as I walked out of a restaurant in Tilton, NH and saw the roof on the old Tilton, NH post office. That photo is in my Roofing Ripoff expose’ book

Tilton Post Office

Look at how the 8-foot-wide strip of asphalt shingles look nearly perfect. This is the roof of the old Tilton,NH post office. The other shingles on either side have lost their granules and are curled as can be. The copper ions washing off the cupola roof STOP the oxidation of the asphalt. When asphalt oxidizes, the molecules cross link and become brittle. CLICK THE PHOTO NOW TO ORDER AFFORDABLE COPPER STRIPS THAT WILL SAVE YOUR ROOF.

copper roof strips

This photo tells you all you need to know about how copper slows down the oxidation of asphalt shingles. Look at how bad the shingles are that don't get copper ions washing over them.

Did the Roof Maxx® Company contact you to Review their Product?

Yes. On Friday February 14, 2020, Bobby Wright, who represents Roof Maxx®, sent me a message via the Ask Tim page on my AsktheBuilder.com website. He wrote:

I'm hoping to have a live conversation with you in regards to a new product called Roof Maxx. I'm even interested in performing a free demonstration for you to get your feedback. Please contact me at (614) XXX-XXXX to discuss. I am a follower of your work and appreciate all you do for the consumer world. It would be an honor to be associated with you.”

Bobby also attached a fancy full-color document produced by the Ohio State College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences about SMEEs.

I responded within minutes asking him when he’d be coming to New Hampshire as I imagined he thought I still lived down the road in Cincinnati, Ohio. I then recommended to him that he read my Roofing Ripoff  book because I felt that his company was not fully aware of the root cause of shingle failure. They maintain it’s caused by oil loss. My research and the information from my deep-throat source say it’s caused by blowing too much air into the asphalt.

I suggested that he purchase a copy of the book, read it, send it to the scientists at Battelle Labs who developed the Roof Maxx® soy product, and then get back with me with his comments.

I heard nothing back from Bobby and at 8:38 a.m. on March 9, 2020, I sent a follow-up email to continue our conversation. Bobby didn’t respond. I then called Bobby’s direct phone number at 3:43 p.m. on March 9th, 2020. I left a message on Bobby’s voicemail. I asked him what the scientists at Battelle Labs had to say and if there was any input or response from the Roof Maxx® CEO, Mike Feazel.

I called once more on the morning of March 10, 2020, at 9:56 a.m. At 4:16 p.m. on March 10, 2020, I received a lengthy email response from the Roof Maxx® CEO, Mike Feazel. The key points were that the Battelle Labs scientists don’t dispute my approach or claims as to the root cause of shingle failure and the proven performance of copper as a way to slow down the deterioration of asphalt shingles. 

He further went on to say, “However, I think we can agree that we're both attempting to help property owners achieve the same goal; Protect their investment and save money while keeping debris out of landfills.

Mike concluded that he has no desire to take on the asphalt shingle manufacturers head on and that, “I simply want to give property owners an option that wasn't otherwise available until now.”

What Questions Should I Ask the Roof Maxx® Salesman that Comes to My Home?

Here’s a list of questions I would ask a salesman before I’d sign a contract with a Roof Maxx® dealer:

Have you read syndicated columnist Tim Carter’s Roofing Ripoff book where he discusses what he believes to be the real root cause of asphalt shingle failure and his alternative approach to using copper rather than your product?

A vast percentage of my roof is covered with  ceramic granules that act as a sunscreen to prevent UV damage. I don’t see any exposed asphalt when I look closely at a shingle. Does the soybean oil emulsion  penetrate these granules? If so, how is it possible for them to get through glass? If not, then how does the soybean oil get to the asphalt underneath these granules?

How do I know if the Roof Maxx® product is working? Please give precise information how to determine this.

What is the evidence that the Roof Maxx® product is not working? If I continue to see ceramic granule loss, is that a symptom that the Roof Maxx® spray coating is not doing its job?

Is the Roof Maxx® warranty prorated?

How can I prove that the Roof Maxx® product didn’t work so I can file a warranty claim?

What documentation must I provide to make a valid claim?

Tim, What’s Your Final Opinion of Roof Maxx®?

My opinion is that the Roof Maxx® soybean solution is backed by solid science. The Battelle Labs in Columbus, Ohio, have a deep and rich pedigree.

I feel the biggest drawback with Roof Maxx® is that you must re-apply the product every few years to try to keep your roof in good shape. Whereas if you install the affordable copper strips on your roof, you never have to do anything again.

I also feel the photograph taken those few years ago at the Tilton Post Office is all the proof you need to know that copper is the best way to go. To the best of my knowledge, there are no side-by-side photos of a house roof where one half has had the Roof Maxx® treatment while the other half hasn’t. If that test had been done for 5, 10, or 15 years, then you might have full confidence that the Roof Maxx® soybean solution does indeed do what the company claims.

In my opinion, at present you can only hope the Roof Maxx®  product will work. I recommend that you only hope for things that you can’t control like the weather, who’s going to win the World Series this year, and if your lottery ticket is going to be a winner.

You can absolutely slow down the deterioration of your asphalt roof by installing copper strips and know that they are working.

P.S. If you hang your hat on acid rain being part of the equation, you probably should leave your hat on your head. Look here:

acid rain decrease

Image and data courtesy of the National Atmospheric Deposition Survey, Illinois State Water Survey - Images and text retrieved using the Fair Use Doctrine from: http://www.earthtimes.org/pollution/acid-rainfall-decrease/1636/

53 Responses to Roof Maxx Review

1. Tim

Give them hell! I really appreciate what you have created with your page.
    I have one question about installing copper on a roof. I have a Pyramid Hip Roof on my garage (2-car). When all sides meet at a single point, how would you install copper. Just a thought. Roof is about 5 years old but still in good condition.
    Thanks, George

2. Thanks for the article Tim. I have seen lots of Roof Maxx ads lately...especially on local social media and wondered about how credible the claims were. In regards to the copper. You mention using thin strips of copper. From the pics, it looks like 3 mil copper flashing. Question. Does the copper thickness matter? I assume it doesn't as the copper cupola in the photo was probably made with 16 ounce copper. Thanks again.

3. The idea of copper makes sense. I was thinking of a length of 3/4" pipe hung on each side of the ridge cap.Would this be enough exposure?

4. I read your Roof Ripoff book and fully agree with your conclusions. I also know that when someone tries to sell a "spray on" product for anything it never works.

5. Hi Tim,
    Years ago I worked for Saudi Aramco in Dhahran Saudi Arabia. I lived in a company house and I want to enclose a small patio for a little extra floor space. Of course the deal is I have to restore the house to the original condition when I leave. Since this was going to be temporary, I built very light. The roof was 1/4" plywood laid directly over a pergola type sun shield. The joints were sealed with plain old masking tape and then the whole roof including the attachments to the stucco type siding were painted with a white manufactured home roof paint. The stuff went on with the consistence of whipped cream. Temporary turned out to be 13 years, The roof never leaked and although it doesn't rain often in KSA, when it does it is monsoon scale. When I had to remove my handiwork it was a real PITA. The stuff came up in sheets about 1/8" thick and was like inner tube material, soft and pliable. Where the paint covered the masking tape joints to the adjacent wall it was nearly impossible to completely remove the adhesion was so good. What I can't help but wonder is why failing asphalt roofs aren't painted with a similar paint and easily extend the life a decade or more. Relatively cheap, easy application and remarkable results even in horrible conditions of heat and hydrocarbon exposure.

6. Maybe you should create some sort of 'shed' in the back yard as a demo of the copper- have protected, half not.

• Ron,

I provided that proof. Didn't you look at the photo above of the old Tilton, NH post office? You can see in the photo that 80 percent of the roof is NOT protected and 20 percent is protected. What am I missing, my friend?

• I don't need to. The architect who designed the old Tilton, NH post office did the demo for you and me! WOOT! Look at the photo above and behold the magic of copper!

7. Hi Tim
    Sounds as if Maxx Roof is replacing petroleum oil with snake oil. Why in the world would I want to pay $2000+ every 5 years to fix my roof? That says it all about how much faith they place in their product. I don’t care if they offer a LIFETIME warranty -if they embellish their descriptions of the product what’s to keep them from finding loopholes in the warranty.
    This is the first I’ve heard of them but thanks to you it will also be the last.

8. Say what you want but I have seen Roof Maxx results in person on shingles and it really does do what they say it will. I saw it on some terrible 3-tabs that were near the end of their life and it really did rejuvenate them to be like a new asphalt shingle. I will use it in the future as my roof ages on my home.

9. Recently saw an ad from a local company that reps this "application". First thought I had was "Five years? for THAT price? Probably would be better to just spill paint on the whole roof." Watching a video of the application turn me off even more. Looked like they were hosing the shingles down with a LOT of run-off.

10. So you stated that Battelle Labs, one of the best independent laboratories in the world, backs Roofmaxx. You also say you have never used it. But you still make it sound like it doesn’t work. Hmm, I’m guessing you sell this copper stuff and are trying to put down the competition. Looks like slander to me. If I was those guys at Roofmaxx I would be talking to a lawyer.

• Brian,

Where did I say it doesn't work? You're wrong. I said, "I feel the biggest drawback with Roof Maxx® is that you must re-apply the product every few years to try to keep your roof in good shape."

I do sell copper sheets. I started doing it after I made my discovery about how copper bonds with asphalt.

The review above is completely fair and simply states the facts. Any homeowner can do the same comparison.

You should also make use of a dictionary. It's obvious you have no clue what slander is.

Tell me, which RoofMaxx franchise do you own? It's pretty obvious you've got a dog in the fight.

I'll close with this. You'd be wise to grab a copy of my Roofing Ripoff book and read it to broaden your scope of knowledge.

11. I have a neighbor of mine that had the Roof Maxx treatment a little over 3 years ago. At the time he said that his shingles were a little over 13 years old and brittle and lots of granulars in his gutters. He loves the product and says 3 years later his roof is still more flexible than before he had it applied it and very few granulars in his gutter. My roof is about the same age and my shingles are brittle also. If I purchase your copper and put on my roof will it bring back the flexibility of my shingles like my neighbor and help keep the granular on? I have a hip roof with about 270' of top caps. How much would it cost for the copper strips only and do you know how much to have someone install them? Thank you

• You just have to calculate how many linear feet you need for all the ridge and the hips. Then see how many 60-foot rolls you need. I'm very skeptical of how your neighbor is able to judge brittleness. Did he get up there and perform a test before the treatment? Did he test the SAME shingle before and after? See the issues with that kind of unscientific data? I have no idea what local installers would charge you. But you can get FREE estimates by clicking this link: http://www.homeadvisor.com/ext/32182253

12. Hello, yes, he told me that the dealer had him come up to the edge of the roof and showed him how the corner of the shingle would break off when it was bent back. I guess that shows how dry it is. About a week after the treatment the dealer came back to show him the difference. He says that he is still able to bend the shingles back now at the corners and they don't break. I am still possibly interested in the copper if it will do that same thing for my shingles. I would need about 4 1/2 rolls of the copper so about $ 900.00 Thanks.

13. I understand it is cheaper but cheaper is not always better. Will the copper bring back the flexibility of my older shingles like that Roof Maxx spray treatment did for my neighbor? I really don't want to spend that $900 plus whatever it will cost to have someone install it if it does not work the same.

• No, the copper doesn't restore flexibility of shingles. I think you're missing the point. The copper prevents the asphalt from oxidizing and grinds the aging process to a slow saunter. The Roof Maxx method is not permanent and you keep having to apply it. Why would you want to keep having to spend money when you could just pay less one time? That's a rhetorical question.

14. It would be a rhetorical question if I asked you again if it restores the flexibility after you answered. You did not answer this question the first time.

Thanks

15. I've never tested to see if it restores flexibility. I'm quite sure it doesn't. I feel the biggest mistake you might be making is proceeding with your decision WITHOUT reading my Roofing Ripoff book. If you read it, then you'd understand WHY the copper is so much better. https://roofingripoff.com

16. Zinc strips prevent streaking too for a fraction of the cost of copper. Roof Maxx serves a completely different issue and helps prevent against granular loss which in turn provides extended roof life.

• Keith,

You missed the point entirely. Copper SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWS the aging of asphalt shingles. There is no evidence that zinc does this. I have the proof of this in my Roofing Ripoff book. Copper prevents the granular loss too and you only put the copper on one time and it costs LESS than your first Roof-Maxx treatment.

17. A copper strip I could see being advantageous on a new roof but don’t see how it would work on a roof 10-15 years old. Looking at the testimonials and the studies I personally feel it is at the very least a good alternative to people who don’t have the money to replace their roof but still have a need. I have a small 1 car garage that needs the roof replaced and I’m going to see how this works. I’ll let you know the results.

18. Tim, Your idea seems plausible and I hope you are more open to questions more than you have illustrated above.

Roof Maxx or not it seems like a self centered article...

I would like to know how many roofs you have witnessed and documented that have lasted longer because of the addition of a copper strip.

A single photo looks "nice" but doesn't prove anything.

I live 60 miles southeast of you and seriously doubt your claims. Have you considered that we get acid rain which has increased in severity over the last 30 years adding sulfur and nitrogen oxides to the equation? Installing copper doesn't eliminate all of the variables that existing in nature can add.

Show me 50+ roofs that benefit from your product and I'll buy in. Until then your chemical theories are just that. Thanks!

• Ken,

Where does this acid rain come from that you claim falls from the sky? Most of the power plants have switched to natural gas from coal. Look at the image above of how acid rain has decreased significantly over the past 30 years.

The photos I added above tell the tale. That roof was subjected to all the things you feel Mother Nature is broadcasting down from the sky. How about you explain what's going on in the photos? For the record, I'm not asking you to buy-in. You have to make informed decisions based on empirical facts. The photos above don't lie. By any chance do you have a dog in the fight? Do you have a pecuniary interest in Roof Maxx say as an investor or dealer in Portsmouth, NH, or another nearby city/town?

19. What you have not done though that the readers can see is that you have no scientific data to back up this phenomenon. For the sake of argument, the appearance of the post office roof where the cupola is in reference to the cleaner shingle area is noticeable, and in coming to the obvious conclusion it’s from the copper. Good, that may sell books. Now on the other hand, what we don't know is this: we don't know if those shingles are dried out? We don't know if there is any thermal cracking going on, and we don't know if those shingle tabs can bend. That being said, many insurance companies will ask you to replace or you won't get insurance. In that case a roof replacement can get very expensive.

20. Dear sir, I have just finished some research and came along this article. After 40 plus years in the building industry I believe zinc and preferably copper do help with algae. After reading the comments here about this Roof Maxx liquid. I went to the site and watched videos and did research. So here is where I lean. I have seen this phenomenon back in the mid 60's just as you describe on the post office building. We attributed it to the copper on the lightning bolt protection system and the copper flashing on the old Victorian. I don't believe you were the first to discover this but maybe the first to write a book about it. After all, you are trying to market yourself. What you have not done though that the readers can see is that you have no scientific data to back up this phenomenon. For the sake of argument, the appearance of the post office roof where the cupola is in reference to the cleaner shingle area is noticeable, and in coming to the obvious conclusion it’s from the copper. Good, that may sell books. Now on the other hand, what we don't know is this: we don't know if those shingles are dried out?

21. We don't know if there is any thermal cracking going on, and we don't know if those shingle tabs can bend. That being said, many insurance companies will ask you to replace or you won't get insurance. In that case a roof replacement can get very expensive. Now if you add copper like you said, even after 5 years, damage to the shingle may have already been done, so unless you add the copper when it was new will it help but mainly with the algae. Even now some manufacturers are using copper particles to help combat the staining process and so those shingle will cost more money, but neither of these scenarios help the shingles that are dried out. I believe you know that. The Roof Maxx solution is a great answer in the tool box to help overcome this issue. I see a 5-year extended life better than a forced roof replacement.

22. Now we know a one sized shoe doesn't fit everyone and there is a great need for this product especially if the roof is caught earlier in the aging process a homeowner can get up to 15 years more life. With all respect, what you want people to believe is that the copper will stop or slow down the aging process with no scientific data to back that up. Sure, people are going to take the less expensive way, it’s what gives you credibility and makes you money by book sales. There are always skeptical people, that’s just the way the human nature is, and by the way, we had to replace that dried out shingle roof on that old Victorian home. That roof was 35 years old, but back then shingles were made much better and much heavier than today. That’s when they used organic paper and twice the amount of asphalt, remember those days? In finishing up I think it’s disingenuous to use your platform in this manner to give your bias opinion to people based on a products price which is backed up by scientific data. Then in saying sir, you have a right to your opinion but you don’t have a right to your own facts. TY

23. By the way sir, I am 82 years of age, I don't have a dog in this contest just as you have insinuated others, TY

24. Tim, your a fake, posted here and you deleted it
    Sad, when you hide the truth. The real you shines like a dull paint job. I think I will put a youtube post with this thread and all my reply there to expose your antics!

25. Hello Tim,
    I have not read your book however I have replaced asphalt shingle roofs going back 30+ years. Prior to that I started building and repairing swimming pools. I have more pool experience. What are your thoughts about using a copper algaecide liquide to be mechanically applied to the roof. Able to make your own from crystals up to a 20% solution or purchase a lower percentage solution from your locale pool supply?

26. I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. My roof was installed 23 years ago with 40 year Celotex Presidential shingles. It still looks pretty good, but we have noticed some loss of granulation. Is it too late to use the copper shield you recommend? Thank you.

27. Thanks for all your interesting info. Regarding lightning, will copper attract it? We live in Florida. Thanks.

• I don't know that the addition of copper would attract lightning. No doubt lightning RODS that stick up WILL do that.

All you have to do is attach a wire to the copper strips and run it to the ground. Read up on how lightning rod systems work.

28. Hello: We live in Northwestern Nevada. We don't get a lot of rain, will the copper still help our roof?

• Rain is very important as it's required to wash the copper onto the shingles. How much is not enough? I don't know. If you can put the copper on yourself, it's a MUCH cheaper alternative than Roof Maxx. So why not try it?