4 Way Switch

1. Dave Rongey – Ask-The-Electrician
    March 18, 2012

Tim, Great article! I simply LOVE 4 Way switches, but yes, they can be a challenge if you do not have a working knowledge of working with them. I have wired homes where multiple 4-Way switches have been installed in long hallways. The wiring is the same when wiring one or twenty, but the key is wiring them between two 3-way switches.
    Keep up the Good Work,
    Dave Rongey

2. Dan
    February 27, 2013

Great info! I particularly enjoyed the YouTube video. However, I am finding it a little difficult to determine how to apply in a setting with walls where I cannot see how the wires connected from one switch to another . If I understand correctly, it's not the 4 way switch itself one has to be concerned about in order to get the circuit running as it should between 3 different switches, rather the key is for the 3 way switches to be correctly wired, with the 3rd wire playing the key role?

Any additional input would be appreciated.

3. Graham Cooper
    March 21, 2013

Thanks, very much appreciated. I had done everything right........so I thought but it would not work. However, after reading your article I realised that I had the black wire that went to the light on the wrong screw. It all made sense. Again, many thanks.

4. Dave Engstrom
    March 11, 2016

I watched your video on how to wire 3 and 4 way switches. IT made my job SO EASY. Thank you, as this was a real head scratcher for me. Now I actually understand how they work. And so does my garage light!