Adding a Second Story

1. Francis

Thank you for all your great advice.
    Is there an inexpensive way to do the second story floor with out distribing the exsiting ceiling?

February 27, 2014

The answer is no.

2. Hameez
    December 26, 2014

Hi, now im working on my final year project in designing a double storey house. Im having problem in where to put my column in the first floor. is there a problem if some of my column in the first floor is not symetrical with my column in the first floor?

3. Lance
    November 9, 2015

Hello,
    I currently own a home that may have been a double wide trailer. It is on a solid foundation with a finished basement. Is it possible to pull the existing house off and put a new one on without completely destroying the current basement?

4. Jason
    November 22, 2015

There is a way to add a second floor without disturbing the first floor ceiling it is very easy and in most cases will save you a lot of $$. Build a 6" wall in top of your existing walls that will be under your new second floor space. Then lay your floor joist and beams on the new 6" wall. By doing this you do not damage any of the ceiling on the first floor plus the small wall that was installed act like a bridge for all your electrical and most of your plumbing. This will save you several thousand $$ on plumbers and electricians.

5. Alex

Hi there!
    I have a flat roof and I'm thinking of building a new room with less money. How?

6. Frank Hosselkus

I have a similar question(s) about building a second story and not moving out of the first story while under renovation.

I am sure everyone has some wild ideas so this one should be no different.

I too want to add a second story. But I don’t want it to tie into the first story, yet. The first story is coming up on 50 years old. I bought it a little over 10 years and it needed help back then.

I want to build a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, and open area on top of my home. Use steel beams, reinforced wooden beams, or whatever to have it actually NOT touch the home below. Run the plumping under the floor of the second story and down the back or side of the first story. Have an exterior stairwell for coming and going.

When the second story is complete, move into it. Use the open area for the kitchen for the time being.

Then demolish the first story to include the foundation. Several plumbing problems exist. Lay new plumbing, pour new foundation, build walls that come up to the second story. Tie in the plumbing and electric. Finish the kitchen area first. Remove the kitchen area and flooring on the second floor to have a balcony that overlooks the future living room in the first floor. Somewhere, some place, connect the two stories with a stairwell.

Finish off the first story and move in. Finish the exterior with siding or brick.

Anyone’s thoughts?

Or would it just be cheaper and easier to move out and move back in when it is complete?