Applying Stucco

1. Rebecca

Dear Tim, if my husband stucco's our brick house like I want, what do we do about the brick ledges under our windows? Do we stucco over that brick as well or grind them down in order to make flush with the rest of the exterior wall? I'm wondering what our options are and concerned that we keep it so rain can run off away from windows. But I'm not sure I've ever seen ledges like that under windows on a stucco house?

Hope I made sense? Thanks for any visual help you can give me.
    RSchwem, Deer Park, TX.

For detailed questions like this, this is what my 15-Minute Phone Consult is for. You have many things to consider in this job.

2. Shauna

Hi, I just moved into a new house and noticed there are a couple water stains under my front window. It also could be something else that was there before. Looks like a water stain if you threw a water balloon at it. How can I remove it?

Shauna, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

3. Tom Algeri

I'm trying to stucco over cement baord on the exterior of a shed. I'm useing 1/4" cement baord as my base over the house wrap and a morter/stucco mix type "S".

My questions are:

1. Do I have to tap the seams? ... all of the seams are ver tight ... most are less than 1/8"

2. I wet the base before I stuccoed in all of the screw holes and seams before appling the stucco .... the finish looked good but, when the finish dries ... it feels like sand and can rub off ... I only did a 4' x 8' area .... I hope you can held so I can complete the project. THANK YOU !

Tom, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

4. Dee Pangan

Can straight horizontal or vertical grooves, about 1/4" deep and about 1" on centers, be applied on stucco exterior wall finish? If it can, what is the best way or a good way to do this?

My proposed project needs 4'-0" long grooves.

Thank you.

5. Barbara

We want to stucco over the exterior of our slump block house in Arizona in order to add insulation. What are the pluses and minuses of doing this? Can you give us a formula of how to do it?

Thank you. Barbara

Barbara, there's far too much to talk about. I offer a phone consult service. You should consider it before you make huge mistakes.

6. Carol

Hi Tim,

Question: We bought an older farmhouse with stucco siding. The home was remodeled by turning a large garage into a family room with fireplace then another garage was added onto that.

We want to place 13 x 11" iron grates into the walls, set high so has to convey heat from the woodstove/fireplace in the large converted garage area into the original home. We have decided where to place these high on the wall but when doing a test drill hole we found what appeared to be concrete. So.. we realized we are drilling into an exterior, stuccoed wall we presume. What is the best way to get through all of this stuff to place our vents?

Thank you,

A hammer drill!

7. Jaffer

Hi Tim,
    I'm building a backyard firepit about 4'x6' and feet tall. I'm using concrete masonry units as the base and regular red brick on top, I am going to create a stucco finish, I was curious about whether or not a should use a lathe on the surface of either or both the CMU or Brick in order to ensure a even texture or is this unnecessary in creating a smooth finish?

Also since it will be a wood fire pit I planned on using Refractory Brick on the interior of the firepit but I was curious as to whether or not this will affect the stucco on the exterior particularly cracking?

Thanks for your post

Fire brick on the INSIDE of the fire pit will help to keep the stucco on the outside intact. Create a 1-inch air space between the fire brick and exterior CMU. READ my past columns about fire brick and fire clay!!!!!

8. Paul
    March 2, 2015

Can you stucco over a stone basement foundation (interior)? Or don't they recommend this? Thanks!

March 2, 2015

Yes you can! READ all my past columns about cement stucco and pay close attention to what I say about using "cement paint". That's the key to success.

9. hamza

Hey I have question please.
    I am doing my own stucco first job and.
    Iam doing the finished coat right now and its acrylic texture finishe,and there are no expansion joints installed on the walls? Iam not sure what to do now?do I need to me fake expansion joints by chulk line?or just apply the finish coat and texture it?

10. Kevin Keehn

Hi I am stuccoing over cmus, everything I have read so far says that I don't need to use metal lathe. Is this your suggestions if I use a bonding agent?