AsktheBuilder Legal Terms

OVERVIEW: This section of AsktheBuilder.com deals with legal jujumagumbo. I can't think of anything more distressing and distracting.

Disclosure Policy:

The Federal Trade Commission requires that I publish the guidelines concerning any product reviews you see on this website. Please read my Disclosure Policy.

Libel in Comments:

This website is open to comments. You will find user-generated comments under many articles and other pages. If you are making a comment, then do not commit libel. Libel is a written statement about someone that is not based in fact. State all the facts you want and allow other visitors to decide who is right.

As a website owner and publisher, Federal Law has been passed that offers immunity to me in case you do cross the line and commit libel. So to save all of us lots of time, don't do it. Just state all the facts of what happened and keep out all adjectives describing the person and his/her workmanship.

Your Use of AsktheBuilder.com:

I grew up in the age before personal computers. We had search engines when I was younger, but we called them the Yellow Pages. Do you still have one in your home? Go get it and look to see the fattest category - the one with the most businesses in it. Is it Attorneys or Lawyers? You bet it is.

Before we go any further, you need to know that many of my friends are attorneys. Seriously, and they have read this page with a grin on their faces.

These people need work and many create billable hours filing lawsuits, writing interrogatories, doing discovery, taking depositions, etc. All these things create billable hours.

You and I pay for this stuff in higher prices of many consumer goods. Think of ladders. Have you noticed how expensive they are? It's because a large part of the purchase price goes to a legal defense fund and insurance premiums for when some idiot sets the ladder wrong or overreaches while on the ladder and falls. The ladder company gets sued and decides to settle instead of fight. Remember, you *paid* for the ladder. That is an important point.

Well guess what? You are not being charged for the information you get from me. You get the tips and secrets from me for free. So for you to even think of suing me is unacceptable. If you feel differently, please close your browser now, go away and kindly never come back to AsktheBuilder.com.

If you decide to stay, and I hope you do :-> , then you need to realize the following:

• If you submit a question, story, recipe, image, drawing or photograph(s) to me via AsktheBuilder.com, you agree that I can publish, copy, reprint, etc. it on my website or in any other future publication. You agree I don't have to pay you now or ever for the content you submit to me. If you do want compensation, any advice or knowledge you take away from visiting my website, from a reply I send to you, or you watching any of my free videos is payment in full for life for anything you send to me. If you don't like these terms, DO NOT UPLOAD anything to this website.
  • You agree to use any and all advice found at AsktheBuilder.com at your own risk. Here is but one example of thousands of things that might go wrong after you follow some of my advice:
    • Let's say you try to solder a copper pipe the way I describe (which, by the way, will produce a leak-free joint).
    • One month later, the joint fails because you made a mistake or the materials you used were defective.
    • The running water floods your house, all of your things get ruined, your pets and children float away and can't be found, toxic mold blooms and coats all surfaces in the house, and then your house collapses from wood rot.

In the event something like the above happens, don't have your lawyer/attorney contact me, have them contact your insurance company instead.

Why call them? Because YOU probably did something wrong, not me. It's time for people to take responsibility for their own actions and to stop blaming others for their incompetence or lack of due diligence.

That's it. See how simple lawyers make it to do business with AsktheBuilder.com?

Are you in a grumpy mood now? Well don't blame me, refocus that negative energy towards those who file lawsuits each day to keep our litigious society and economy on a roll.

Tim's Signature 150 pixels

Founder - AsktheBuilder.com

3 Responses to AsktheBuilder Legal Terms

We are having a house built in Georgia. We discovered last week that the house was going super fast (two weeks from just a foundation to having the sheet rock installed), so we went up for a site visit this past weekend (we currently live 6 hours away). The media room upstairs was supposed to have a vaulted ceiling but does not. The two rooms on each side of it are vaulted though, so we could not figure out why the media room was not. The only other home to be built with the same floor plan as ours has a vaulted media room ceiling. Also, we were told buy the seller's agent that the builder was placing the stairs flush with the wall from now on so that they would not stick out into the foyer, but we would have to give up square footage in the powder room & closet that are behind the stairwell. We agreed to this as we did not want the stairs in the foyer. When we arrived last weekend, we found that the builders had not moved the stairs from the foyer area.They only moved the staircase back one step & added a perpendicular step on the landing, which was supposed to be flat (U-shaped staircase).They also took the space from the closet & powder room. No one contacted us or our agent to let us know that the stairs could not be moved as promised. We were not given a choice about the stair position or the extra step.

When our agent spoke with the builder's agent about these things, she said that the floor plans had been deleted from the builder's computer since it has been so "long" since they built that floor plan (it has been less than 2 months since the only other home was completed), and that is why they messed up on the media room ceiling. This makes no sense to me. At first, they agreed to fix the ceiling. Later the same day, they called back to say that they could not fix it because the the wrong trusses were ordered & used on the roof & they would have to take out the roof to vault that room. If they did that, they would compromise the structural integrity of the house. Regarding the stairs, they said they moved the stairs back a foot but couldn't move them any further than that because of a building code. They say there is nothing they can do to change the stairs. We definitely do not want a step on the landing (we consider this a safety hazard), but they said they cannot do anything to get rid of it.

As compensation, they offered to cover the $450 of our upgrades, which is not acceptable to us. We have requested a meeting with the builder, but our agent is not able to get any response. She has only been able to reach the builder's agents. We have also contacted the builder directly & left a message with the secretary, but have not received a response.

The total cost of the house is $259,000, including $10,000 in upgrades (privacy fence, refrigerator, & surround sound wiring). In your opinion, is it reasonable for us to expect them to cover the $10,000 in upgrades as compensation for the stairs and media room ceiling mistakes?

Thank you!

2. Hi Tim,
    Can we cover red brick with stucco? Is there special preparation work? What kind do you recommend?
    Thank you, Kim zimmerman

3. Thank you for this. This is the shortest Terms of Service that I've ever seen. Well done. Way to go. Maybe if more of us would do this thoughtfully, we could get this country back on track.