Bathroom Remodeling Sequence

1. Mike Order

I am doing a bath remodel. The original floor was vinyl over particle board. I've removed the vinyl but what I need to know is should I remove the particle board and replace with a cement board or just try and cover the particle board with plastic or paint?

It depends on what your FINAL floor is going to be in this bath. You can do a phone consult with me if you want to ensure you don't GOOF UP.

2. Teri
    February 1, 2015

I am re tiling around my bath tub. The backer board is installed. Should I be water proofing anywhere or in the corners at least. And if so with what. I bought REDGARD waterproofing, but the instructions say that you cannot use premixed tile adhesive over it. Also, when I start tiling, what do I do with the growing gap from the bottom of the first row to the tub, as I tile towards the drain. Do I just have a larger caulk line there. Sorry, my computer isn├Ęt slowing me to use question marks

February 1, 2015

You need to read all my tile installation columns. Read all my cement board ones too. You've bitten off quite a big bite of a job.

3. Danielle Billetz-Reppert
    June 14, 2015

What is NEC Code for running water lines (pex) and electric lines near each other? My question, I guess, is how far apart do a water line and an electrical line in the basement or in a wall have to be? Can't seem to find the NEC Code on it.

4. Grace
    November 14, 2015

We are doing a master bath Reno. Took the existing wall tile off and will be installing new ones. Do we paint the walls before installing the new wall tile or the other way around?

5. Howard Reed
    March 4, 2016

The house that my parents live right now only have one bathroom and they are looking to add another one. They are hoping that it can raise the price of the house, and help it to feel a little more livable without wasted space. I will have to mention how the toilet has to be centered in a space no less than 30 inches. I will also have to suggest that they rent a dumpster to throw away all the old fixtures that are unusable.

6. Auntie Sugar
    March 28, 2016

Is framing and putting in bathroom door part of remodeling a bathroom?

March 28, 2016

It is normally! Issues like this are solved when you write the contract. You mention EACH and EVERY step and item that's part of the job. You list EXACTLY what you expect the contractor to do and how much he will get paid. You never HOPE or ASSUME something is going to be done.

7. Sherri

We are going to tile our 4x4 shower ceiling with 12x24 tiles.
    1. Do we install the fan/light first and tile around or tile first?
    2. Any magic tricks or advice you'd like to pass on?