Blacktop Driveways Over Concrete

1. Bill Eddings

I have a terribly broken up concrete driveway; 1600 sqft....that is 75% gravel-exposed...the balance , though smoothly covered , is mostly thin layered concrete... ready to break up anytime.
    So ugly! And when I say thin layer , I mean THIN.
    Would you still recommend an overlay of concrete method, or just get it completely dug out, and "re-surfaced" ?

Appreciate your reponses to others. Just don't know what I should do.
    Estimate (zip code : 29609) was $5,000 six yrs. ago.

Bill, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. chris lewis
    June 5, 2014

I would like to "Blacktop" over my existing concrete driveway in North Carolina. My house is situated somewhat at the end of my community, and kind of on a slope (which catches alot of weather/rainwater from the other houses above mine).

Would it be feasible and is it possible to "Blacktop" my driveway.

Please advise.

C. A. Lewis

June 5, 2014

Yes. Why don't you spend a few minutes and read all my Asphalt and Blacktop Drive columns?

3. D. Ryan

i have a small concrete patio approximately 12' X 24' with only real crack; however, that crack created a sloping 3' X 6' triangular section of concrete that is level at the crack but has sunk 2 or 3 inches at the far point where it meets the house cinder block foundation (it cracked because of excessive rain water from broken gutters which have since been fixed).

My Questions:
    - could this sloping section be a problem if "blacktopped"?
    - we also have porch steps (3' X 3' X 7'); can it too be "blacktopped"?
    - and finally, is such a thing a DIY project (we're pretty clever about most DIY stuff)?

(i'm just investigating things at this point in time so general advice is fine.)

thanks in advance for anything you can tell me, i truly appreciate it.

Remove the broken part. Drill 1/2-inch holes into center of remaining slab 16 inches on center. Drill them 5 inches deep. Get 14-inch-long pieces of 1/2-inch rebar. Pound them into holes. COMPACT soil at location where new concrete will be poured. Pour new concrete and place steel bars in the new triangle for extra strength.

4. Gabriel
    March 13, 2015

Hello I have an old asphalt driveway that half of it is cracking into pieces. Can I paved over it

5. Sam Williams
    March 24, 2015

Met with Oneil Asphalt guy who said even though our 30 year old concrete drive with cracks is in bad shape that he with tack coat application and 2 inches finished of black top, that life of drive will be extended by 25 years. Your thoughts? Sam

6. Robert Tingler
    February 20, 2017

Some situations can be solved by an experienced "mud-jacking" contractor. If slabs of a concrete driveway are tipping down, holes can be drilled in the concrete and a quick drying material will be pumped into the holes until the concrete slab is level with the surrounding concrete. If this is still not exactly what you want the finished driveway to look like, mud-jacking can produce a level surface for either a thin concrete overlay or finishing with a blacktop surface on a flat, solid base. I don't know the formula for mud-jacking, but I do know there are contractors using an inferior liquid, so get references from customers whose driveways have remained level for several years after being lifted.