Brick Water Repellents

1. Pryce Haynes

I am planning to use brick for a backsplash in my kitchen and wish to seal it so i can keep it clean and it will not stain from coffee, red wine or other soil.

What should I use to seal this brick?

Thank you.

Pryce,

You don't have to worry about stains when you have my Stain Solver. It gets rid of all the things you mentioned. If you make the mistake and SEAL the brick, the sealer can actually BLOCK cleaners getting to stains that seep past the sealer. Do NOT seal the brick.

2. jarrod marshall

can u give me the name of a good brick water repellent

3. Tom Smith

Tim,

I need to get my repellent ordered and sprayed on my house before the upcoming hurricane season. Is there a particular brand you recommend?

What kind of repellent?

4. Terri Ford

What brand of brick sealant is the best and last the longest for exterior brick homes? Can I get a professional grade sealant that I can apply myself?

February 24, 2013

Read my water repellent columns - all of them for the answer.

5. Justin Skrebowski

I have a 1930's semi that is rendered and painted. Do I need a sealant or a repellant?
    During recent building work inside the house the bulder removed internal plaster and said the walls were 'soaking' - and suggested I apply sealant externally. But do I want sealant or repellant?

I believe it's pretty clear in all my brick columns what to do, right?

6. St Louis
    October 5, 2014

Everytime it rains, water comes n my basement. How do I solve this problem .

October 15, 2014

Look at my Linear French Drain DVD or read all my past columns about brick veneer water leaks.

7. Jenny

Does the brick wall have to be perfectly dry before using a repellent? Thanks
    If yes....is there a way to speed up drying.

Jenny,

The answer is on the label of the product you're going to use. What does it say about the condition of the brick BEFORE you start?

8. Anil Bhutani
    October 18, 2015

I want to coat my brick flooring so that the dust not penetrate. Please help.

9. Nicholas Newman
    December 11, 2015

I have a 1930s house where the wall is solid wall and is coated with I think its plaster. I have filled in all the cracks I could see and used sandtex exterior white paint which has reduced the problem, but it there is still a patch of damp on the inside of the exterior wall. What do you suggest I do? Perhaps use an exterior water repellant, repoint and replace the bricks in question? then replaster? Or build a conservatory to protect the wall from rain?

10. Beth
    February 1, 2016

Hello,
    I have a brick fireplace in our living room that looks faded. I would like to apply some kind of sealant to darken it and bring it back to life. If you have suggestions of what to use I would very much appreciate it. Thank you,
    Beth

11. Bob
    February 12, 2016

I live in a large Cond in the Chicago area that is brick and block construction that is 35 years old , we haven't had a lot of leaks , the board is getting a price to do tuck-pointing and using a water repellent called Protectosil Chem-Treat PB110,do you think it is necessary to preform a water absorption on the existing brick work , Thank you, Bob

February 12, 2016

Bob,

Your Board better get on the phone with me!!!!!! Go up to the SHOP icon above, click it, select Consult Tim.

12. Stephanie

Hi Tim,

We just had our building sealed today, and now it's pouring rain. The company said that it's not a problem because the sealant dries in about 30 minutes. Do you think that's accurate information? Unfortunately I don't know the brand or type of sealant used. We're paying ~$10,000 to have the building sealed, so I'm hoping that wasn't all for naught! Thanks in advance for your help!

13. Masoud

Hi Tim
    We've taken some soil out of the floor in the shed to convert into a living room but on the neighbours side there is 2 foot high soil against the wall.
    Is there anything we can use to protect the wall from the inside to stop damp coming through ?

14. Gopalakrishnan G
    October 5, 2016

Please tell me a good water-repellent paints containing "silanes&s iloxanes"as you recommended.