Cabinet Knobs

1. patti
    March 28, 2014

how do you install a cabinet knob on a cabinet that has curved panel where the knob needs to go -- not a flat surface for the knob/screw

March 28, 2014

The same way as on a flat surface. Knob must have small contact point where it touches.

2. Clyde Corbin

I have a five foot pantry tall cabinet door that I would like to install a pull on.
    it looks odd placing the pull 2.5 inches from top, please help

3. Gary Walsh

I have installed pulls on my cabinets. The doors have a curved surface, so the knobs turn inward a bit--towards the center line between the doors. It looks a bit weird to me. I thought I can make them straight by loosening them a bit, and putting wood putty under them to adjust the slant. Is it normal for knobs to turn inward? I'm trying to sell, so I don't want anything to stand out.

Wood putty is a mistake. Grind the base of the pulls at an angle to match the curve to make them look right.

• Gary Walsh

Good idea,
        Thanks!

4. Kathleen

We are almost through a kitchen renovation. We bought brand new alpine white cabinets. Our contractor put knobs on without asking me where I wanted them placed. He did not use a template, some are uneven. He's attempting to move hole without replacing doors. Is this possible? Could something happen with wear/use and the hole become visible again? What should I do? I love my cabinets, we paid a lot for them and I do like my contractor, but he should of asked me where I wanted them and used a template. Should I insist faces be replaced or is it possible you will never notice where old knob holes were? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Contractor is in the WRONG. Do NOT pay him for the job until you're SATISFIED.

5. Leslie

I have a similar issue as Kathleen. Our trim carpenter also happens to be the construction foreman of our custom home. He insists that we are getting too upset about cabinet knobs that are uneven (at first some were a 1/4", others are at 1/8"), at different heights and having screws creating chips and splinters in our cabinetry. He has used wood filler for the larger discrepancies, but is there any sort of professional guideline we can point to?

YES!!!! You should have purchased my New Construction Home Specifications. All you had to say in the specs are what you want. You state the acceptable TOLERANCE. You would say, "All cabinet knobs must be positioned as seen in the Detail drawing on page XX of the plans. No chips, scratches, or damage to either side of the cabinet finish will be acceptable. Damaged cabinetry doors or drawers must be replaced with new ones that match perfectly."

6. Brett

Finish carpentry is an art...craft and the tolerance and margins of error for me come down the 32nds and 64ths of an inch.
    It's a real shame that some out there that claim to do " fine finishing " are in the buis...stick with banging 2x4's together.
    Homeowners please do your research on specific contracting.

7. Judi

I am installing a tilt out bin just under my sink. The panel is 16 inches wide. I am having a terrible time finding knob placement information.

8. Bill
    November 20, 2015

I want to install knobs on my cabinets but there is a diagonal seam where the wood comes together in the center. Is it safe to drill on the seam to put a knob there? We wanted them in the lower corner and not a few inches up.

9. Gloria
    June 4, 2016

I gave a single pantry that is 15" wide and 90" tall. The top door is 30" tall. Doors open left to right. I have installed a handle on the upper door at the lower left hand corner but am not sure if I should place the bottom door handle at the upper left hand corner or mid way down on the left side. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

June 5, 2016

Gloria,

You put the handle where it's MOST CONVENIENT to grab it.

10. Rebecca Sewell
    June 22, 2016

I want to mix knobs and pulls in my bathroom. I have one 90"tallx18"wide cabinet, 2 under the sink doors, and 3 15" drawers. Does it matter which gets the pulls and which gets the knobs?