Caulks

1. Craig Dyck
    March 9, 2015

what it is I am looking for is a caulk that is non flexible, in the north
    where I live most of homes come with a tin roof and for penetrations
    such as wood stove pipes ect. we require a clear caulk that hardens
    forever as the tin roof expands and contracts according to the
    temperature and sunlight. I am a builder and need this caulk?
    perhaps you can steer me in the right direction.
    Thanx Craig

March 10, 2015

Craig,

Your answer for this lies with the manufacturers of the metal roofs. In their written installation instructions they'll talk about the best practices AND materials to use at roof penetrations. Contact them.

2. Joshua Taylor
    March 12, 2015

Hi there,

I used some of the Acrylic Latex caulk that is supposed to dry clear. It has been at least 10 days now and it's still not fully clear. There are some patches that are more transparent than others.

The caulk was used to fill a roughly 1/2" deep, 4" diameter circle indention.

I'm worried that the edges dried faster than the interior, and so now the latex can't evaporate. is this a possibility?

If that's not why, any suggestions?

thanks

March 12, 2015

Joshua,

It sounds to me like you didn't read the label on the caulk. Caulk is not meant to fill GIANT holes like that. It's a material to fill narrow cracks.

I have no idea what the material was that got dented, but my guess is it should have been filled with some other product that does dry and can then be painted.

3. Shani FB

Hi there, I am looking for a trasparent caulk to seal between tiles in the kitchen and a wooden worktop.
    What do you propose please? My builder will be putting it in but has asked me to source it. I don't have a clue!
    Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks. Shani