Ceramic Tiles on Wood Subfloors

1. Nathaniel Ellis
    November 3, 2014

Our home was built in 1969. There is the original tiled (squares) floor and a linoleum floor over the original. We install a underlayment and linoleum, plus stick-on tile flooring since we lived here. Today we have removed the linoleum and stick-on tiles, leaving the underlayment. Now we want to install Ceramic Tiles on the underlayment. Do you envision install issues?

November 3, 2014

I only envision issues if you don't follow what I say in my column about springy joists and how solid is the wood floor system.

2. Adam
    December 29, 2015

Your article certainly provides some food for thought. However some explanation on how to measure the 'springiness' of my floor would be greatly received. Maybe further explanation of joist span, size, spacing etc.

Thank you for taking the time to post this article. I'm still contemplating the use of stone on my raised floor with chipboard covering the joists. I many contradicting arguments from flooring suppliers.