How to Clean Exterior Siding

1. Niels Kampmann

Sounds interesting; how much oxygen bleach per ga of water?

We recommend about 3/4 cup of Stain Solver oxygen bleach per gallon of water. Mix in HOT or warm water, stir till dissolved.

2. Dale Vollmers

How much dish soap do u add to a gal of water?

A generous squirt.

3. Marc Armstrong
    November 30, 2015

I have aluminum siding that faded and I primed and painted and we have had so much rain in Oklahoma City this year that all the way around the house you can see black specs and of course worse on north side I am wondering will this product you sell I suppose oxygen bleach solution will it work and not damage the paint that I put on there also do you have to use a scrub brush as it is not real heavy or can I use a power washer that is turned down on pressure so it won't knock the paint off?

• John
      December 22, 2016

Low pressure tips

4. Billye

I had Whole Foods brand Oxygen Bleach. The ingredients are Sodium Carbonate peroxide and Sodium Carbonate.I followed the directions on the container for stains.; 2 cups of warm water per 1/2 Tablespoon. I applied it with a car wash brush on a pole. It did not fizz up. It did take off some so the mold and mildew but not all of it. Is my solution too weak or is the product missing something?

Billye,

You used the wrong brand. You need my Stain Solver. What's more, there's a good chance the brand you used is not Certified organic and it may have impure offshore ingredients. Stain Solver is Certified organic and all ingredients are Made in the USA. CLICK HERE to get Stain Solver.

5. tom c

I have white vinyl and live on a dirt road,front of house and below windows are stained where rain does not wash it off,tried zepp products with power washer and scrubrush,it helps some but still looks bad,any ideas ?

6. John
    December 22, 2016

Probably can you a mixture of water and chlorine in a spray jug

December 22, 2016

Chlorine bleach - sodium hypochlorite - is VERY TOXIC to all vegetation. It's the LAST PRODUCT to use if you want to preserve your grass, landscaping and valuable trees in and around your home.

My neighbor systematically MURDERED two gorgeous maple trees next to her patio by cleaning the patio under the trees with chlorine bleach. I warned her for years to STOP, but she thought I was just a dumb ass. She paid arborists thousands of dollars to try to save the sick tree. Then, after ten years, she paid thousands more to have them cut down and taken away.

The BEST product to use is certified organic Oxygen Bleach.

7. Russell Murphy

Tim,
    Cleaning up the exterior of our yacht club in Pentwater, MI this spring.
    Plastic siding needs to be cleaned and brightened up. I will have volunteers to help do this project.
    Ladders to get to the peeks with soft brushes and Stain Solver is the plan. Any other suggestions to make this a successful project?

Russell,

You bet. Here's the Success Checklist:

Use warm / hot water to mix.
      One cup SS powder per gallon of water
      STIR until completely dissolved.
      Use hand-pump garden sprayer to apply solution
      Saturate DRY siding working in the shade
      Keep siding WET with solution for at least 15 minutes not allowing to evaporate
      Scrub siding with RV brush adding some liquid dish Dawn soap
      Rinse with lake or hose water.
      Celebrate your AWESOME CLEAN siding!

8. Luke Smith
    February 8, 2017

I didn't realize that algae or mildew could survive on vinyl siding due to droplets of sap. I can see how cleaning your house regularly could prevent unsightly and possibly harmful mildew though. If the situation is getting out of hand, it might make more sense to just replace the siding entirely.

9. Stephen Osterday
    February 8, 2017

Yeah, that's funny. I had a wood fence that always seemed to need painting. So I thought I'd replace it with the maintenance free vinyl fence. You guessed it, I had to clean it every year after that. I solved that problem permanently by moving to a dryer climate without a fence. 🙂