Coast Rapid Response 3.00 Pocket Knife Review

Coast Rapid Response 3.0 Pocket Knife

The pocket knife industry has always been strong and new models come out all the time. I’m convinced this is because a knife is such a personal item. Each person is drawn to certain things about a knife.

My first impression of the Coast Rapid Response 3.00 pocket knife, while it was still in the impenetrable stiff plastic packaging, was that it looked good. I had to use my trusty SOG Flash 2 pocket knife to free the trapped Coast knife from its clear bondage.

Here are the tech specs on the knife:

• Blade length: 3.00 in.
  • Overall length open: 7.00 in.
  • Weight: 3.70 oz.
  • Blade material: High-carbon stainless steel
  • Partial Serrated Blade edge
  • Handle material: Fiberglass-filled textured nylon
  • Ambidextrous Thumb stud on each face of the blade
  • Full Stainless Steel frame
  • Ambidextrous pocket clip
  • Roller-Cam technology spring opens knife

These knives are built so that you can open them with one hand. Such was not the case with this bad boy. Try as I might to open the knife with the thumb studs, I couldn’t. It simply hurt my thumb too much.

The other issue with the knife is the spring lock that holds the knife in the open position. This needs to be moved sideways so you can close the blade. Once again, it was very difficult to push down on this lever to produce enough friction to move it sideways.

The knife comes with a safety switch that allows you to lock it so the blade doesn’t open. I feel it's superfluous as the blade takes a lot of persuasion to go from the closed to the open position.

Although it’s a very handsome knife, I give it 2 hammers out of 5.

This new Coast knife is going to be a decoration on my desk as my SOG Flash 2 will be in my pocket until such time as Coast issues an upgrade model fixing all the problems. My guess is it will be called the Rapid Response 3.10.

13 Responses to Coast Rapid Response 3.00 Pocket Knife Review

1. decent review. I have a similar knife to this that I received years ago as a gift and have loved it. Is it possible that the opening action will wear a little with some use? I think I found that to be the case in my knife; that it got easier to open with a few uses. just a thought.

2. Tim, a very helpful review. You hit on key elements for one-handed use and the knife won't be very useful (at least not for me) without those features. Thanks for always giving realistic and useful information.

3. That knife looks right nice.
    I have a Gerber 650, a very good knife. I won't review it here; this is your place but what I paid for it was money well spent.

I keep it razor sharp with a Lansky sharpening set.
    You may want to review that - I recommend it..

4. Tim, if you want a fantastic, economical, everyday carry knife, try
    Columbia River Knife and Tool. [CRKT] A model to suit anybody.
    A good knife is an indispensable tool on any jobsite or project.

5. The opening will probably get easier after some use. Personally I don't care for the partially serrated edge all these knives seem to have now. I have several & almost never use that part of the blade.
    Great newsletter Tim!!

6. I love knives and can't stop buying them. This knife looks good and I like that it is 3 inches. I find my 3.5 inch knife just a little too big and a 3 inch blade should be legal just about any city. The opening and unlocking the blade sounds similar to what I use daily and it just takes a little getting use to it. What I don't like about this knife is the Serrated Blade. On such a small blade the serrated edge is not very useful and takes away too much of the more useful part of the blade. Keep a knife sharp and you will never need the serrated edge. I would not have purchased this knife.

I liked your review. You provided a good description of the product. I also liked your honest description of the design flaws of the knife so that potential buyers will know what to expect. Thanks a lot. Keep up the good work!
    Ivan

8. Your credibility is reinforced by being ready to offer a seriously qualified review when warranted, as was the case here.

Personally, I have great difficulty imagining any pocket knife in my pocket other than my current Swiss Army knife and its predecessors that have been there for the past 35 years.