Concrete Cracks

1. Wetzel Boushie

I had an 8" roof poured on a 20'x20' shelter with an 8" center wall. The contractor used metal decking material with 1/2" rebar 2" from from decking at 12" centers. All concrete is 6 bag with fiber. My question is, if the decking bows when the forms are removed, can I put screws in it without weakening the concrete ?

Thank You.

• Melanie

My basement walls were poured on the 22nd of July. I looked at them on the 26th of july and it looked like there were 8 foot creases in the cement on the south and north walls of the house. On August 1st they backfilled. Will I have basement leakage or issues with this house? Thanks

Melanie, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me.

2. Tim

They poured my house foundation 6 wks ago. Today i notice a crack the whole lenght of the living rm. The homebuillder says its a stress crack and filled it in says I have no worries. In middle of crack it has raise a little they say this is caused by temperture being so hot. My question is do I have anything to worry about.

Tim, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

3. mike skyles

Is there any thing I can do to keep a cement crack from getting bigger or deeper. The concrete is only about 3 months old.

Mike, yes there is. You need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

4. sharilyn jarrett

we have a crack along sidethe front of house on the floor it goes along side of the basement floor it doesnt go all the way down but it is long what can we do to fix this cant afford a professional thanks

Sharilyn, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

5. Tonya

We had our driveway poured on a Wed. By Friday we had a crack all the way across one section of the driveway. I do realize that concrete cracks. The weird part about our crack is that it's about 3" away from a control joint? I believe the water line is directly over this area of the driveway also. Could the water line have been put in incorrectly?
    Thank you !

6. Kathi Parks
    March 15, 2014

I just had a slab poured and shop build on it. The slab is 30x40 and has a very large crack 30 ft across. I think my control joints are maybe 1/4 inch if that and total of six. Three running 40 ft side and three running the 30 ft crossing over each other. They look a little jagged also, past cement the cuts where much deeper and smooth. What should I do, I don't want this to get worse. My ground seems to move a lot so I am really concerned.

March 16, 2014

Kathi, I need to know more and I believe I have a product that will work for you. You should consider investing in a phone consult. Way too much stuff to discuss here in the comments.

7. Shannon

One of the control joints in our new construction (6 months old) basement has increased from a hairline crack to approximately 1/8 inch wide (I can lose a quarter in the gap). The same thing has happened around the sump pump. Should I be concerned?

No. Read all my past columns about Concrete Shrinkage. Use that keyword phrase in my search engine: concrete shrinkage

8. Jack Hoffman
    June 20, 2014

Concrete contractor poured a small rectangular concrete pad last week of Oct 2013. I noticed a crack across the first control seem of slab in late April 2014. It can only be seen when wet. Contractor used his saw to saw the first line down to the dirt. It will stop that crack but temps will probably push the two parts up and down separately. What is a proper fix?

June 22, 2014

Please go up the page and use the search engine tool of mine. Type this into it:

concrete control joints

READ every column I have about the topic and your answer and MORE is there!!! Woo Hoo!

9. Kim

We had concrete pool deck and patio poured approx 1 1/2 months ago. 75-80% of joints have crack and there are 4 cracks across squares away from joints that lead to edge of pool. Contractor says this is normal and there is nothing we can do about it. Your thoughts?

I think you should go read my column again. The answer is right there in the column if it's NORMAL for concrete to crack. You're asking the wrong question in my opinion.

You should be asking did the contractor do something wrong so that the cracks didn't happen in the CONTROL JOINTS?

The answer is probably. Go read ALL of my past columns about Concrete Cracks and the depth of Control Joints.

10. Jenny

Why when my freshly poured concrete patio gets wet it look as though there are hundreds of tiny cracks?

Use the search engine here at my site and type in:

plastic shrinkage cracks

READ all my columns that come back in the results.

11. Tom Kowalski

Is there some way I can attach a picture of my issue?

12. Candi
    June 27, 2015

I had a new home built last year with a concrete porch 30' wide and 7' length about 4" thick. It crack all the way through from to back 3 weeks after being poured. Still awaiting for the builder to repair it. The crack has separated more about 1/8 of inch. He say the concrete hasn't failed. I say it wasn't done correctly due to they only hand tamp the fill. Normal concrete no rebar and one solid pour. The builder said stress crack at first and now he says shrinkage. He wants to fix it with an epoxy and overlay I want to porch ripped out and redone correctly. The porch also drains towards the house and other crack have have developed.

13. Vitali

hello. new home construction and builder recently poured driveway... less than a week has crack in it.. builder says it stress crack and normal.. also driveway poured uneven having areas where it collects water and doesn't run off.. its was horribly broomed since some surface smooth and other rigid.. this normal??

14. Mark rangel

Hello, I'm performing a new construction home and have several questions that I believe the contractor is doing wrong but he is telling me otherwise on some cases. Would it be possible if I can bother you for a lil bit and pick your brain if you wouldn't mind that is. Thank you I greatly appreciate your time.

I can't offer free one-on-one consulting in situations like this. Many people who are in your shoes have me call them on the phone.

Best money you'll spend on the project.

15. K

New construction
    Concrete poured
    Started out as a thin crack but now
    It goes all the way through to the dirt underneath the concrete
    This is the foundation of our house
    It's started out small and now is getting bigger I say at least a 16th of an inch
    We are in Texas new home new state
    They are trying to blow it off
    But my question is if it's foundation and the studs are up and the concrete is cracking almost straight across the middle of the house am I in trouble
    Their current contractor was fired our plumbing for the refrigerator is in the wrong place also am I in trouble ?
    Where did the good builders go to I'm so frustrated
    K Maxwell

16. aleksandra
    October 15, 2015

If a contractor did not use an isolation joint or or expansion joint against my building before pouring cement right up against it, can I have a major problem or is this just not an IDEAL situation? thank you Tim!

17. Cindy

I'm a business owner and I lease a building that was built in the 1950s mostly out of cinder block.
    We've been experiencing flooding during our now rainy season. Turns out I have large cracks along the main back wall and water is coming through the cracks. It has done substantial damage to three rooms. Insurance companies have already been called but offer very little help. My building owner is 93 yrs old and has left it up to me to find someone to "fix" the problem. I have no idea who I should be calling.I'm assuming a contractor? I apologize if I sound a but dull ... just want to know the right steps to take.

No problem Cindy. This situation you're in is complex and I've got questions. I've offered for years a special concierge phone call service to help people like you to make the correct decisions. CLICK HERE and I can be on the phone with you in just hours.

18. jack
    March 18, 2016

If you use inch and half fibers in the pour of a 25x40 slab should you saw cut or not? Kind of makes sense both ways but not sure.

19. Sam

I'm creating a 22" x50" x4" cement foundation for a 200+ lb air conditioning unit. Do I need to add rebar to prevent cracking from the weight and vibration of the ac unit?

20. Tausha

We had a new home built and the builder did not put any relief lines (controlled crack lines) in my driveway or sidewalk. I recently asked him about this and he said that they are not required and not a big deal since all concrete cracks. Is he telling me the truth or should I push for him to put relief lines even though I'm guessing this would mean it would all have to be jack hammered and reported? Thanks!

21. Julie Russell

The guy that did my garage pad says this ;

I have looked at pics and that is a normal thing. Concert is going to crack. We always hope it will be in the joints we cut but sometimes it does not. Thanks for reaching out to me and if I can answer any more questions please fell free to call me

22. Natalie

Hi mate,
    My driveway got poured 16 days ago and there are multiple visible long cracks right throughout, but the most concerning one is bigger than a hairline, goes right over the side edge of the driveway and right down to the earth! I don't know jack about driveways but I know that can't be good so soon!