Cultured Marble

1. Jill Dempsey
    November 1, 2013

I have a cultured marble shower enclosure. It is 19 years old and still looks great. However, every place that I have accessories held in place by small suction cups have left a round stain. Same problem in our tub where the tub mat was. How can these stains be removed?

2. maria

Could someone please help??? I had purchased my new home in January... 4 months ago and my shower is making me sick.. headaches, nosebleeds, etc. My husband and I noticed a small bead of black along the caulk on shower floor. He thought it was mold but knew otherwise when we looked closer. It was several holes in the caulk getting larger! My husband recaulked it, but the hole just kept getting bigger. He finally did it again and left the shower dry for several days before we got it wet. Weeks went by and I started becoming sick... I have severe allergies and sinus issues. I can smell mildew and it's getting stronger. He pulled out the piece that he caulked and what do u know? Mold n mildew behind the piece and along the backing. We thought it was one piece, but over the days my nose told me something different. He pulled out another piece and MOLD was on it and the glue!! Who do we call to fix this??? Do we order new cultured marble pieces??? HELP!!

Type: biofilm into my search engine NOW. You need to sanitize and CLEAN the gunk off the sidewalls of the pipe that extends from the shower drain you stand on down to the p-trap.

• margo adler

during and after you fix the problem the spores will still be in the air. I hired a restoration company and rented an air scrubber (filtration machine) that removes all spores and odors from the area. saved my health.

3. Diane Burgett

Dear Tim, I currently have a fiberglass shower stall that has been leaking though the glass door seams. Ultimately producing some black mold. Besides getting rid of the mold, I am remodeling my shower and can't decide on cultured marble or porcelain tile. my daughter who works for a tile place swears by the tile. She says the marble is too heavy, very porous and requires resealing annually by a professional. My installer who use to work for a marble place swears by the cultured marble. He claims that the tile tends to leak more and it could be tough to keep the grout clean. Other than the usual biweekly/monthly shower cleaning (depends on how quickly the mold and mildew develop) , I am not one who likes high maintenance bathrooms. If I have to tear out my shower, I want to upgrade which is why replacing the fiberglass shower with another fiberglass shower is not an option.

The pattern of choice (tile or marble) will be mainly white with some grey swirls running though it so if II go tile, I will need to use a light colored grout which I am told will require a lot of maintenance keeping it clean can be prone to leaking. If I go cultured marble I am reading horror stories about staining problems and having to reseal every year or two. I really like the idea of not using grout but my may concern here is the maintenance with either product.

Can you provide any advise on which material is better to use and why from a maintenance standpoint? what are the pros and cons to using cultured marble vs porcelain tile? I never thought about the marble chipping so some of your points above added to my concerns about using marble.

Thank you, Diane

Diane, Way too much to type here. This is why I created my 15-Minute Phone Consult.

• Melodye

Go with ceramic - definitely! Stands up to lots of wear and you can use common bathroom cleaners. Most cleaners destroy the coating on cultured marble leaving it dull and vulnerable to cracks!

4. kar
    November 25, 2014

I have a old cultured marble bathroom sink that in the bowl it is really cracked... Is there anything I can do to restore or fix the cracks. It is really ugly!

November 26, 2014

There is nothing you can do to disguise the crack that will last. It's time for a new sink unless you can continue to live with it.

5. chucklucas
    November 29, 2014

Depending on how handy you are you can repair it. I repaired a crack in a cultured marble bathroom sink. Colored epoxy with fill the crack and clear gelcoat (available from an auto store or a marine supply will replace the gelcoat. You can find detailed instructions on the internet.

6. Dixie Travelstead
    December 6, 2014

I love my cultured marble shower and bath, but have acquired a crack in the "custom" shower base. Is it possible to repair or resurface without totally replacing? It would be very expensive to have another custom piece made and could also involve our soaking tub, as well. Is there a possibility of an overcoat being poured on top of the existing floor?

December 6, 2014

There are repair kits sold online, but I've not done it and I can't vouch that it WILL WORK. Caveat emptor.

7. Paula Lange
    March 19, 2015

I have a cultured marble shower and love that it is easy to clean, but the floor is slippery despite the slightly raised pattern that is to keep this from happening. I am looking for something to apply to make it have traction, but won't ruin the floor. I have been told that etching solutions will break down the resin in the floor and ruin it - is that true?

8. Sheila

I have cultured marble tubs and we are having problems with both of them.. apparently they cannot withstand very hot water and have cracked from the hot showers we enjoy. Now they are leaking. Does anyone know anything about this?

9. Melodye

I tried gel gloss on my dull cultured marble counter top and it was totally useless - just to save someone the $ and time - if the shine is gone that won't put it back. Going to try automotive rubbing compound and wax next. wish me luck..................................

10. Annette
    June 1, 2015

Shortly after we moved into our home, there was a leak under our jetted tub. We called someone out to fix the leak but they had to remove the cultured marble front. They did not put the front back on the tub, trying to get it to dry out. During that time, it was left leaning against the end of the tub and the cultured marble bowed. Is there any way to straighten it out or must we purchase another panel?
    Thank you,

11. Debby
    June 18, 2015

We are remolding a small bathroom. We have a neo angle shower. I would like to tile the walls and possibly tile the floor. It is an upstairs bath, so I want to be careful about a possible leak. What do you think would be safe for the base? I also would like something that is easy to clean, little or no maintenance. Thank you.

June 18, 2015

You pour a mud floor..... I've NEVER had a leak. I created step-by-step instructions in my DVD series.

12. Holly Greenleaf
    June 27, 2015

The previous owners of our house painted over the cultured marble shower, tub, and vanity. The paint is peeling now. Can I just take off the paint and go back to the existing shower? What could I use to remove the paint? Is it possible to tile over the cultured marble without taking the whole shower out? Please help-it looks so bad!!

13. Mulin
    February 8, 2016

We love the solidity of the cultured marble counter and garden tub in our master bath, but the green color is awful! Is there a brand of tub paint you would recommend? (Replacing the large tub is not $$ feasible.)

14. Kelly

We have a brand new home with cultured marble countertops in our bathrooms. In one bathroom I noticed after just a few days there were water spots that wouldn't just wipe up. I sprayed vinegar on the area, waited for a half hour or so and then wiped up. Now that whole area has lost it's glossiness and is completely dull, like the vinegar ate through the finish. I am so surprised and dismayed and don't know what to do. Any helpful suggestions?