Diagonal Brace Tips

1. Greta Lee

We are planning a screen room and have encountered an issue with diagonal bracing on the corners away from the house. I understand the importance of lateral stability in a wall, but there must be a way to build in diagonal bracing that is not so visible as in the picture above. There are many images of screen rooms without big obvious diagonal braces. How is this done?

Greta, you need to schedule a 15-Minute call with me. There's simply too much to talk about and type.

2. donna
    June 13, 2013

WE ARE BUILDING A SCREEN DECK WITH TRUSSES BUT WE NEED TO ATTACH THE TRUSSES TO THE CURANT HOUSE HOW DO WE DO THIS

• Billy
      October 12, 2015

After reading this question I would suggest hiring a carpenter. Anyone asking this has bit off more than they can chew.

3. Alasdair

HI Tim:
    I have a deck sitting on 6x6 posts 8' high.The horizontal beam that the posts support is 3 2x6's fastened together.

I want to install Y bracing. Is is better to install say 2x6's fastened to the outside of the 6x6's or is there a way to place them flush on th inside? I am worried there is no safe way to bolt up into the triple 2x6 beam even though this would look much nicer.

4. Brian

I am building a 12x12 shed. I have 2x6 rafters, 16" O.C. with rafter ties resting on the top plate and collar ties up top. I did not use a ridge beam, but used plywood scabs to assemble the peak. Do I need to install some sort of permanent bracing for the roof or will the sheathing on the gable ends and on the roof be enough.