Door and Window Trim Installation Tricks

1. Justin Wittock
    June 2, 2015

Hi thanks for the article. I am doing window casing and have a small dilemma. I made a 45 degree miter sled for my cheapo table saw, so create perfect miters. But, the problem I noticed is that after cutting the 2 pieces, they form a perfect 90 yes, but, one piece (the miter'd angle) is longer than the miter'd angle of the other piece! This wouldn't matter much if they were boards with no profile, but there are a couple decorative profiles in the boards. This means when I line up the profiles, the tip of one of the boards protrudes by 1/8". Maybe I could file this tip off and use wood filler to make it look OK. But, I don't want to do this for every corner going forward. My sled appears to be configured 45/45, although verifying it is physically awkward so I'm not absolutely positive. Any thoughts? All I could figure is that my blades or arbor is a little bent. Thanks.

June 3, 2015

It's happening because the wood trim is different widths. Trim off the small about that's longer at the outer corner.

2. Adam Berry

If you're cutting both pieces of casing the exact same angle then they should line up with no overlap. Either the angle is changing on you between cuts, or your trim is different widths (although that would be odd, seeing as most casing comes in standard widths)