Drain Cleaner Debate

1. Lynn
    June 19, 2014

So - in your post about Draino---are you still a firm believer a peson can use it if they have an older home.

June 19, 2014

You can use it if you want because most older homes have metal drain lines. But Draino is a lightweight and no substitute for taking the trap off under a sink and inspecting the branch drain line to remove sludge and rust buildup. If the branch arm is galvanized pipe, you'll likely never open up the drain line.

2. paul

Hey Tim, glad I found this, thanks. Just replaced both 1.25" p traps connected to 1.25" galvanized pipes from two sinks to a t shaped pipe. That t drops 2 feet, turns 90 degrees then runs horizontal for about 12 feet to a 90 degree taking it 8.x feet below the slab. I know the clog is from the t to the horizontal because the washing machine isn't flooding lower on the same pipe.

So far its been about an hour with Drano on both drains. Any predictions if the clog will clear before something bad happens? I will rinse all I can if it moves but I think I might have made a mistake doing this. I'm assuming the pipes are original 1957, new to me for 6 months.

I'll let you know with pics if needed. I have before shots with timestamps.

If it helps, when I filled one sink then let it drain, all kinds of rust and mineral looking stuff came up the other sink. I would guess that had something to do with ptraps, but plumbing is still magic to me. Couldmt day.

3. Charlene Simpson

Just an FYI..
    Pour hot water in drain to heat pipes before using products w/lye. Otherwise it can become a hard mass that may make things worse. js