Drilling Into Stucco

1. Roy Self

Tim
    2 things.
    1/ Tried to subscribe but my scam protector would not allow me so maybe you can use above info to enter my subscription, many thanks.
    2/ How do I know by looking at outside of the house if the stukko is cement based or EIFS type. Would be good to know.
    Thanks roy

Roy,

Sorry about the hassle. I'll send you a newsletter invite. Real stucco is usually not as uniform looking as EIFS.

2. tanyakristine

Hi Tim! I had a beautiful old clothesline holder that would retract the line in to its holder when not in use. It's so old, I can't use it anymore but I wanted to replace it with a 2x4 and eyelets and still use the other half of that clothes line (it hooks into a lip that's on the fence). My question: I bought 4 1/4" x 2 7/8" stucco anchor screws with drill bit (my house was built in 53' so i'm pretty sure I got REAL stucco)...my neighbor seems to think that's all I need; but, i'm wondering if I should add the strength of those plastic anchor things? Or at least the best way to hang that 2x4...(oh and should I seal around the board?) thanks!!!

3. Jane Schrantz

I would like to attach an I-hook to the outside of my stucco house. This house was built in 1937 and I am very certain the stucco is of an older type. The previous owner put I-hooks in the stucco garage and they are very tight. I want to put in a zip line for my dog. My concern is that the stucco wall won't be able to handle the weight of my dog (45lbs) when she pulls against it. The Eye hooks on the garage seem to be holding up just fine but I'm concerned she'll pull out the eye hole and take a bit of the wall with it. Any advice?

4. Albert Bodt
    June 1, 2016

Hi Tim,
    I want to install security external security cameras and will need to drill through the stucco to run a power supply wire into the garage. The house was constructed in early 1993, so I am not 100% certain which kind of stucco exterior I have. There has been some exterior minor flaking at the base of the house just above the ground in a few areas leaving a gray colored, almost cement like surface. I would have no idea who to contact to tell me whether this is EIFS or cement stucco. Any advise?

5. James Simons

Tim--just a word of thanks for your clear and concise explanation. Happy to learn that my 70 year old house would have the traditional "hard as a rock" type stucco. I am ready to drill baby drill.