Drywall Cutting Tools and Tips

1. Chris

I am cutting 2 ft off of the bottom of my wall but don't know how to make the straight cut could u please help me?

Use a chalk line. Cut along the line. Think it through.

2. Dee Francis

I thought that you tips for cutting a straight line with drywall and create minimal airborne dust was really helpful. I've been figuring out how to do that since I've been struggling with cutting a straight line in my drywall. Using a sharp razor knife while applying enough pressure to cut through the paper and into the gypsum core is really good to know. I'll have to remember that to help ensure better quality work while working on my drywall.

3. John Carston

I've helped a friend with a project where we used a circular blade to cut drywall. It made a huge mess but it seemed to get the job done, although it's probably a much better idea to use a blade, like you recommend. I'll keep this in mind for an upcoming drywall and wall sawing project as using a blade would save a lot of time, hassle, and mess. Thanks for the helpful construction tip.

4. Marc
    June 2, 2016

for cutting out outlets and can (recessed) lights, a roto-zip tool with a drywall bit is invaluable. Just wear a 3m mask with the appropriate filters.

• Marc
      June 2, 2016

in addition to the razor knife and drywall hand saw, those tools are still required.

5. Steve

I used to do water damage restoration and often had to cut the bottom 2-4 feet of drywall. I used a chalk line and a 12v hackzall (Milwaukee or Bosch style). If you put the blade in upside down (so the teeth are pointing up) and pressed the blade guard and butt end of the tool against the wall, it cuts EXACTLY 1/2 inch. The dust is minimal and you can confidently zip through 40-50 feet of drywall in minutes. I have not seen the drywall blade shown in the article. Thanks for the tip, I will check into that.