Drywall Paper Repair Tips

1. Christy

I am doing my dinning room which has the same problem the wood panelling was glued to the sheet rock. Of course it tore the paper off in spots. My question is instead of one or a couple of places I have a whole dinning room to fix. This is very time consuming is there any thing I can do that will maybe be a little faster? I have found that even though I'm cutting around the lose part it still peels off more than where I cut am I not doing something right? PLEASE help Tim thanks Christy

Christy, this is really a phone call. Far too much to type. I'm sure you understand.

2. Christy

I totally understand. I worked some on the cutting today and I'm moving right along....I hope. Would the basic Kiltz primer work for sealing areas that are damaged? I'm sure because its oil base? I really appreciate the detailed response to the lady. That wad very very helpful. I'm always doing some kind of DIY project around the house. Thanks for your help. Christy

3. Jeff

Wish I would have read this about an hour ago before I slapped a bunch of joint compound over drywall that I just pulled some old faux wood paneling off of (glued of course). More bubbles than a Lawrence Welk re-run! Very informative about how the paper surface is manufactured. Once the compound dries, a new blade is going into the ol utility knife!

Loved the Lawrence Welk visual! I so remember that as a kid and my parents watched his show!

4. Valerie Adams
    October 4, 2014

I took wallpaper off in a half bath. Behind the toilet, was difficult and i scraped some paper off the drywall. i had a contractor stop to look at it and he may have trimed it (i do not know) but spackled joint compound on it. He says i am ready to go. I am worried that i will have a problem in the future. What should i do now? Was some paper still there and I will be okay going forward with a water based primer like Aqua Lock and paint?

October 5, 2014

Just follow the advice in the column I wrote about this.

5. Scott G
    November 24, 2014

Can you please recommend an oil-based sealer that you've used in the past?

Thanks,
    Scott

November 25, 2014

Sherwin Williams makes a primer sealer. It's water-based, because oil is getting tougher to locate.

6. Pamela Silberberg

i have a few small walls that have a bubbling like texture going on and I think the old owner did one of those mistakes not prime, or clean or wrong paint on top. A patch came off and started to take off more and more like easier than wall paper to peel off in bi chunks. It is taking off the drywall paper down to that brown paper. The biggest wall is about three feet wide and regular height ceilings. Would I be able to patch the whole wall in this manner although time consuming or do I need new drywall now? Or could i even put the thinnest drywall on top would that be easiest? I have had a lot of bad workers sadly from a handyman to carpet guys so I really want good advice and just to do it myself. Thank you so much for the help.

7. Heather

So glad I found this article! I do have a question though - how do you fix the bubbled areas after you did it wrong? Sand it down and cut it out, then seal it?

8. Carrie Hardwick

Hello Mr Builder . I have taken off some old wood panel from my living room wall and the drywall is good but the glue is stuck to the drywall, any suggestion?
    Thanks