Easy Tile Grout Cleaning

1. nancy Huntley

I was wondering if you could tell me how to apply to stain solver mixture to walls. I see where it sits level on the floor, but if I put it on walls wouldn't it just run off? Any help would be appreciated

Nancy, you simply mix it up and put it in a hand-pump sprayer. It works well.

2. Beh

What brand of oxygen bleach did you use?

3. Karen Thornton
    October 5, 2012

Could you please suggest a specific brand of Oyxgen powdered bleach that would work well.?

Karen, I thought I had linked to the BEST one in the above column!! Maybe not! Get my Stain Solver!

4. Patty
    December 2, 2012

Tim - are you talking about the produst called "Oxy Clean" when you say to use OXYGEN BLEACH to clean tile grout?? If not, then what exactly did you use, and where did you get it? Thanks, Patty of the dirty grout house!

Patty, Nope! You want my Stain Solver oxygen bleach.

5. Patty
    December 3, 2012

Is "OXY Clean" the product you are talking about? If, not - then what? And where to get it? Thanks!

Patty, NOPE!!! That product you mention is made with Chinese ingredients and I believe it has more filler that active ingredient. You want my Stain Solver!!!! It's made in the USA with USA ingredients. It's the strongest oxygen bleach I'm aware of.

6. K

Is this safe for grout between marble tiles? Thanks!

7. Becky
    March 5, 2013

Hi! In was just wondering if the oxygen bleach, bleaches the clothes you're wearing? Reason I'm asking is in have 4 little kids and want to know whether I should try and do this at night while they're sleeping so no mishaps happen:) Thanks!

Oxygen bleach is color safe and fabric safe. Try http://www.StainSolver.com if you want one with a Certified Organic active ingredient.

8. liz miller
    March 31, 2013

$40 for 2 lbs?!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got to be kidding

I use vinegar with lemon juice and baking soda, works just fine and much much cheaper.
    Being a divorced mom with 3 young adults still home, I can't afford your brand of clean.

Liz, How do you get $40?????? It's $24.97 for 2.2 pounds and that includes FREE SHIPPING. It's so highly concentrated that you'll discover it's far less expensive to use it than the ineffective cleaners you probably purchase at the grocery store.

9. james tolar
    November 23, 2013

I want to clean grout in my tile walls. please let me know that best and easier way

Well, you should use Stain Solver - a Certified organic oxygen bleach!

10. Pamela

Can you help me with my marble floors?

Yes I can help. Go to Stain Solver and order some now!

11. Andi

Can you give me the exact amount of each item (oxygen bleach & hot water) you used for grout cleaning/mopping?

To get the best results, mix one cup of Stain Solver per gallon of HOT tap water. Stir till dissolved. Flood grout. Let solution soak for 30 minutes. SCRUB with a stiff brush. Rinse and let dry.

12. Ashley Galbraith

Would this product work on vinyl flooring? My kitchen floor has vinyl and it is still looks dirty after cleaning! However, I'm still going to get some of this for my bathroom shower!

Thank you for sharing!

13. Janis
    October 6, 2014

Tim, once the grout is clean, does sealing it prevent it from getting dirty or as dirty as quickly? I'm just thinking that having to do this weekly (soaking the whole floor) sounds tedious.

October 15, 2014

Sealing does NOTHING to prevent grout from getting dirty. Sealers can PREVENT Stain Solver from deep cleaning.

Once your grout is CLEAN, you'll NEVER SCRUB AGAIN if you use Stain Solver in your weekly mop water.

• Lisa

Is that true for other Oxygen cleaners too (about not needing to reseal after cleaning with oxygen cleaners)? I bought a different brand at my local store.

14. Lacey
    November 29, 2014

would this work on dried blood, thought we got most of it up after a nasty nose bleed on the bathroom wall and floor? Thanks!

November 29, 2014

Yes. My Stain Solver WILL remove dried blood. I need to tell murder mystery authors about it. The key is to mix it up one-half cup to a gallon of warm water. Stir until dissolved. Allow solution to get to room temperature. Then pour solution onto the dried blood stain and let sit for an hour or more. If it soaks in, add more solution. At the end of the hour, scrub.

15. Vanessa
    December 7, 2014

Do you still put one cup in the 1 gallon of mop water for your weekly mopping?

December 8, 2014

No. If I ever said that somewhere, it's an error. You only need 1/2 cup for interior periodic mopping. I'd use one cup for a VERY DIRTY floor with VERY DIRTY grout, but once clean you don't need it that strong.

16. Tammie
    March 27, 2015

Tim help I was putting grout on tile I had put on my wall for a back splash. When I got a call with an emergency and I had to leave. Is there anyway to get the grout off the tiles since I had not sponged them clean before rushing out the door!

March 28, 2015

Yes. Wet the tile with a sponge to lubricate it. Then take a paint stirring stick and start to scrape away the grout. Add more water as you do this to prevent scratches on the tile.

17. Annemarie Kohler

Tim, since you are a builder, I would like to pass on an expert tip of my own. When installing new tiles, Installing new tiles, especially in
    areas where there is a lot of water such as in your shower and next to the bath or around your bath, insist that the tile adhesive and grout be mixed with bonding liquid. Yes, it is right, this will add to the cost, but it will reduce a whole lot of frustration later. The bonding liquid seals the tile adhesive and makes it waterproof. It also seals the grout which is a porous material. Although there should be waterproofing under the tiles in the shower, the bonding liquid is a second barrier that will reduce the risk of any water seeping through. I have done the for all my tiles - even those where no water is involved, and my grout stays clean, and cleans easily. Kind regards, Annemarie

• JB

I am in the planning phase of a major renovation, and I am considering using tile in the bathrooms. I have always avoided tile solely due to grout appearance and maintenance issues.

Can you please elaborate on the specifics of the bonding liquid and the proportions in which it should be used? How does it affect installation and wait times? Does it alter the color of the grout?

I've heard about installations using epoxy to prevent mildew issues, but one installer I spoke with said he would never do it again, as the process destroyed his tools.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

18. Lena
    October 23, 2015

Hi Tim, will this solution dull the tile itself? I have a beige color tile and I read using baking soda will restore a nice glare on the tile floor. Please help.

19. Nancy Lazcano

How long does your product stay effective after opening?

Stain Solver has a nearly indefinite shelf life after opening IF you keep it cold, or even frozen. Heat is what degrades it. So just keep the container tightly sealed and pop it in your refrigerator. Make sure no one eats it or sprinkles it on ice cream. 😉 Tim Carter / Founder StainSolver.com

20. simphiwe
    February 24, 2016

How to make grout stick on the cracks under deck