Electrical Shock Touching Light Fixture

4 responses

  1. John Perodeau
    February 4, 2014

    Could it not also be that the black and wires wires are reversed somewhere?

  2. Edward
    February 4, 2014

    I thought you should switch the hot (black) wire for this reason. The light hot line should be switched on and off. The black wire from the circuit breaker should go to the common of one of the switches, the light hot goes to the common of the other switch. the 2 poles of the switches connect to eachother . The only white wire that would be live would be going to a(nother) light switch. In that case a piece of black tape should be wrapped around the white wire to indicate it could be hot.

  3. Mike Collins
    February 4, 2014


    Brilliant three-way switch video!


  4. Lou Herrick
    February 8, 2014

    Dear Tim,

    I have to disagree with your conclusion; if the writer got shocked while he was standing on the ground, pavement, etc. and touched the body of the fixture, this means that the body of the fixture was not grounded per NEC. If it was, as soon as the light was turned ON, the black wire would be shorted to ground, tripping the breaker.
    Also, even though the white wire (neutral) is carrying current, unless it is an extremely long circuit, it is effectively at ground potential, and you will not be shocked – no more so than if you touched the same neutral wire where it is bonded to the panel ground bus.

Leave a Reply


mobile desktop