Excess Grout Removal

1. Kevin Green

I had a bonehead worker leave excessivesanded grout on a non polished marble i layed the marble was on a sheet with a 1/4" joint. So yes i had to use sanded i need some help he left a 1/2 in. Of grout down most walls where they met and the ceiling and over the granite marble bench i told him do not grout along the corners and bench but just to grout to them orher than firing him what can i do to not scratch the marble and to get the grout removed w/out tearibg the marble out

2. Joseph
    October 27, 2013

I'm looking for a grout removal tool. It is in a diamond shape, and all I can find are the ones that are triangle shaped. I am a residential remodler, and we use 16th in grout lines from time to time. This tool works best for removing this set from the grout lines. Home Depot used to carry them, but no longer. Do you know where I can get my hands on a few? It would be most appreciated!

3. Rad

Hi, a recent bathroom remodel project while overall a success resulted in a very ugly shower pan. The floor was supposed to be these pebbly rocks peaking from sanded grout. Instead I have a pan that that looks like a mess because the guy poured in unsanded grout or something and it is frozen into place and looks dirty. I need to fix this on my own. So is there some kind of weak acid solution or something I can paint on the grout and keep washing to fix this? The remodel was an expensive project and I don't want to damage surrounding tile. Only want to fix the bottom of the pan. Advice needed and appreciated.
    Thanks!

Rad, I created my 15-Minute Consult for situations like this. You need more than a one-sentence answer.

4. Braydon

If your grout has been applied less than 24 hours prior, you can remove the top skim coat by purchasing several 4/0 steel wool pads (super fine), dipping only 1/4 of it into water,.. and scrubbing your backsplash/tile. This should remove the excess grout and should not scratch your tiles. If this still doesnt work, you can purchase a very fine nylon bristle wheel for your drill and go at them this way. This method, however, could scratch your tiles so use at your own risk...

5. Aguilar

Thank you for the tips! I was able to salvage my tile job and the grout came up rather easily with the water and sugar mixture. Good information.

6. DONNA ANDERSON

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!! I USED THEN SUGAR WATER AFTER THE CHEMICAL SOLUTION FAILED TO WORK. THE SUGAR WATER DID THE TRICK. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

7. Dodgy DIY

Some fool (me) decided to leave nearly all the grouting on top for 2-3 hours. In hindsight, I shouldn't really have been surprised to find the tough stuff wouldn't budge.
    My tiles are stone, not sure what the top is covered with but it seems to take a lot of abuse. Thanks for the advice on here; I used a mixture of the methods from sugar solution to nylon brush. I was able to get away with using a metal blade - especially needed as my tiles aren't flat - but made sure I checked the results first on a scrap piece of tile.
    I read elsewhere that the pack instructions often say leave the grout 15-20 mins before wiping (in my case, I didn't heed this advice), though that you should take it off immediately for most tile types.
    Mine finally look done, so again thanks for the advice.