Foundation Crack Illustrations

1. Fetsi Sebueng

how best can one address severe settlement on buildings?I am experiencing cracks as shown on the last illustration.

2. Faye Usman

I have cracks appearing above one of my bedroom doors, from the frame outwards to the ceiling and the same above the door in the same location on the ground floor below. At the same time as these cracks, others have also started appearing on the wall above the stairs with similar cracks appearing on the other side of the wall in the bunk/box bedroom of our house. The cracks are appearing through the wall paper on both walls (more severe on the bulkhead stair wall). The wallpaper on the stairs has been there for over 16 yrs so I know that the cracks are new.
    Can anyone advise what is the cause of these cracks.

F Usman

3. Kate Maeda

I'm buying a house and the inspector found a foundation crack. The sellers agreed to repair it but I'm wondering what questions I can ask to make sure that the job is being done well and not just well enough to sell the house.

4. Virginia Peiffer

Dear Sir,
    I notice a crack from the front door up to the corner of the wall to roof, Upon closer checking I noticed the corner of the two walls that meet at is cracked all the way down to close to the floor. WHAT CAN I DO ? PLEASE HELP ME I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY AT THIS TIME. MY SON WORKS FOR A HOME STORE COMPANY. I WILL WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY.

Without money, I don't know what to say...... Read ALL of the columns at my website about cracks and their causes. Try to discover the source of the cracking.

5. michelle woodruff

Brick home built in 50s. One end off ground 3-4 feet. In winter walls & floors sooo cold. Cover vents. What else can i do on fixed income. Had insulation blown in attic 2 yrs ago. This is under the house. I have to do myself. I am 70 yrs, female & live alone. Can you make suggestion?

6. Amy Hollon
    November 10, 2014

Hi. I'm about to buy a house which is 80 years old. It has a crack in the foundation which runs parallel at the top of two windows. The crack does not shift right or left. I had a contractor look and he said its just an old house settling but how can one be sure? Thank you.

November 11, 2014

You can be sure by hiring a residential structural engineer that specializes in FOUNDATIONS.

7. Lee
    October 23, 2015

I have hairline to 2mm stairstep cracks in the sw corner off my basement... along with a crack in the basement floor in the Same corner. Hired a contractor fix it but new said it was nothing and to just spray foam it... his he pulling a fast one on me?

8. Bill troxler

The inspection on a house said one half the house is 1 -2 inches higher than the other half. I am looking at buying this house. Only a couple cracks in closets and one small in living room

9. Dhivya

We have found lot of cracks in a newly build house vertically and horizontally. Most of the cracks were found on both side of the wall. Some were splitting into two. Will it cause any trouble in future.

10. Tommy
    June 30, 2016

I recently brought a house. There is a 1" stairstep crack in the foundation. The foundation is a concrete block wall. How concern should I be I have read that this can be the cause of clogged gutters or settling. The gutters in the house were clogged I hope this is what is caused the 1" crack