Foundation Cracks

1. Lindsey

We bought a new construction house in March 2012. Recently we have noticed that there are several cracks in the stem wall and the foundation in the garage. The house is not even a year old, and my question is should this be happening this soon? We live in central Oklahoma (approx. 60 miles from the earthquake epicenter). What could be some reasons for the cracks so soon?

2. debra
    February 14, 2013

Dear Tim,
    I live in the southern part of Lousiana south west of New Orleans. I bought my first home May 2012, the house is 62 years old. I have a crack in the concrete foundation of the middle bedroom it was discovered after pulling up the carpet. The crack is at least an inch wide and six feet long. I did call an engineer to come out and look at it. He wants 18,000-20,000 to lift the foundation. Is there anything else I can do? I need help.

February 24, 2013

Did you read all of my Concrete Crack columns? The ones about epoxy repair products?

3. nadia
    March 12, 2013

hi we bought my first home 8 monthes ago it had a crack but after buying we notised there are four cracks in all four walls we call the crack fixer people and they fix it but one left behind because it was behind the washing machine and we did not see that now it is growing bigger and inoticed the flours are little tilted now we dont have money to spent on it i have already spent to much we hade no ideas about home before buying know we are too much scared about home may be it will fell down some day is this possible please anser me home is 37 year old on the hill surface

Nadia, Walter, this is what my 500-Second Consult is all about. Click the Shop icon at the top of the page!

4. John

Tim,

My wife and I built a new home 3 1/2 years ago. We are currently on our 3rd sump pump and installed the basement watchdog. We now have cracks in our basement walls and also have cracks in our entry way ceiling and living room ceiling. When it rains, water enters through several of the cracks. I took video of water pouring in the crack of the wall and running down the wall onto the floor. I called my insurance company today to start that process and see if I can get any help that way. My question to you, is my builder liable for any of this? Being that the house is still very new and only 3 1/2 years old, I have to question the way the house was built. Should I be contacting my builder? I can't imagine having to pay $10K - $20K to fix a foundation that is only 3 1/2 years old after paying the price for my house. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are this is too much to answer in one sentence. You need a Phone Consult.

5. Dinah

Tim,

My home is 8 years old, i recently noticed with the constant rain that my home is shifting. I can see the foundation concrete as it is no longer covered by the soil. There are also numerous cracks two long cracks in my ceiling. I need some direction.

6. B C
    March 17, 2014

Tim,
    We had our foundation lifted 3-1/2 years ago, and are still seeing new cracks appear in the drywall. Nearly every wall of every room has at least one crack. The foundation repair was expensive, but it will cost just as much to repair all the wall and ceiling damage. I'm considering having a 2nd (and 3rd?) company come out to do the leveling-test, just to see if the first company did more damage than good. Yes, we received a life-time transferable warranty, but I don't want to go back to the original company to ask them to come back and determine if they did a good job... Suggestions?

March 17, 2014

Yeah, I suggest a phone consult with me because there's lots to talk about before you invest more time and energy in this situation.

7. Brian

Hi, my Wife and I are building our first home, a two story with a walkout.We drove to the site tonight to see how the house is taking shape. The have poured footings, set block foundation, backfilled and started to frame the basement. While looking around we noticed a crack in the foundation from the very top course of block all the way to the footing. It's cracked through the center of blocks and also through mortar joints. How is something like this addressed? Does the wall need to be re-blocked or are there repairs for these situations? I would like to get opinions before I hear what they have to say. The builder hasn't said anything about it, but I think it has just happened yesterday or today. I have pictures and have contacted our Rep to see what they say.

Any advice is appreciated.

It's addressed by having a residential STRUCTURAL engineer come out IMMEDIATELY to the site. GET PHOTOS of this NOW before it's repaired.

8. Melanie

Our builders contractor was back filling the dirt of our newly poured foundation and hit the walls with the back hoe. There are cracks in
    the walls and gouges where they will show on the outside. We are having a engineer come look at the damage. If they just fix it without re-pouring are we out of line to ask for any compensation, guarantees or warranties?