Foundation Drain Tile

1. Leigh Degroot

Im building a new home that has a high water table. If I run a direct slated line to the nearby pond that will accept the water hight, should I also put in an inside wall sump pit that is inches above the outside drain to be a back up if water should come in. Is there any advantage to running cross lines in the middle of the basement floor? Please give me the best case example thanks

2. matt rayburn

My son decided to dig a hole in our garden he got down about three and a half feet deep and exposed the drainage tile ( black flex pipe ) there is only about a quarter size hole on top of the pipe but underneath water keeps appearing, is this anything to worry about.

No. Nothing to worry about. He has a career as an excavator. Buy him a CAT 977.

3. Amy Jo Zelmer

What product do you use to clear these pipes of rust and mineral deposits that clog them and flood your basement?

I don't know of any product that will work to unclog foundation drain tile! That's a tough nut to crack.

4. larry padgett

I need someone to come and see what I need to stop the water from entering under the door.

I offer that option in my shopping cart. Go look and see. Select the One-Day Consult.

5. Bryan

We're in the process of building a home. Long story short, the drain tile that runs through the center of our basement to the sump pump got disconnected halfway through the basement. There is also drain tile along the edge of the house. The cement basement has been poured since then.
    Are we going to have water problems due to that center drain tile being disconnected?

Yes. Why not cut out the section of the floor and repair the pipe? What's so hard about that?

• Bryan
        October 6, 2014

We have floor heat installed under the concrete floor so breaking up the concrete would more than likely damage the heating tubes.
        I should also mention, we do have two sump pump holes in the basement, too. Won't the sump pump keep the water level low enough that this disconnected drain tile won't give us trouble?

6. Kevin
    December 20, 2015

I definitely understand your concern that the pipe is disconnected but in the water table will not be able to rise higher than the sump pump.

Water will enter the holes of the drainage tile and will take the path of least resistance.

The pipes are still there but just not connected so I think it will function anyway.

7. Cheryl

I just had a footing drain installed along one wall of my basement. The contractor laid perforated pipe, rock, sand, etc. It looked good and has a slight slope toward the outlet. As an outlet, we drilled through a concrete wall that formed part of a basement stairwell and which has a drain leading to city storm sewer. My problem is the mouth of the pipe doesn't align perfectly with the hole in the concrete. It's about an inch lower than the hole. So it seems to me that any water in the pipe will accumulate to an inch deep before it actually exist the hole, right? Contractor assures me this is okay but doesn't elaborate. Does this make sense to you at all? Aside from re-excavating to realign the pipe to the hole, can anything be done?

8. Mohamed Nimer

I have a walkout basement, the tile drain system is close to the ground. At one corner of the house near the walkout patio door, there is a solid corrugated pipe that seems to be attached to the tile system but is sloping down and away from the foundation wall. It is not daylighted but simply buried in the ground. Is this right? I looked behind where it meets the title system and there seems to be a cavity, no gravel no dirt. Sounds right? I want to build a garden wall at that corner, Can I replace the corrugated pipe with a rigid one and change its direction?

9. Alicia

Our house was built in 1928. We've lived here for 10 years. It is a crawl closed in by a cement block foundation. The township changed the grade of properties by 18 inches so we are now the lowest of all of our neighbors. We recently discovered that underneath our house is taking on water. I've decided that I am going to install a sump pump and French drain. I'm positive I can do this although being one person it will take me longer. Anyway, I have been looking at drain tile and I've found there are several kinds. Perforated of course, one in a "sock" and one not. Do both kinds need to be lined with pea gravel or can the kind in the sock just be backfilled with dirt from excavation? Thank you for your help!