Foundation Footer

1. gabriela

I would like to build a 1100 sq ft house in the country. One floor about 700sf ft with a loft (400 sq ft) I have a limited budget I wonder if it will be less expensive to do a foundation of concrete or concrete blocks with steel reinforcing bars full of cement. How much it will cost per sq ft one way or the other?

Gabriela, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. P.J. Dhilon
    June 8, 2013

DEAR TIM: I’m thinking of a career in new home construction and know nothing about construction. What tips can you give me.

February 27, 2014

Easy. Read everything here at my website.

3. Maggie

I own a home 13 years old which I bought new from the builder. the Real Estate market was insane and this home was built very fast. I kept an eye on its construction as much as I could. But I did not watch them pour the foundation.
    My question has always been this: " why the foundation has inbedded 2"x2" of what it seams like treated wood? They were covered with a coat of cement, but that has now peeled off and the wood is exposed. At my initial inquire, I was told that that the foundation is within State code, but everyone who sees this, questions it.
    Please provide me with an opinion, is this normal? the soil in my area is very "rocky".
    I

4. rocky

@ maggie. I assume these 2x2 are about 4' apart. If so this is a quick way to set your wooden stakes for your form boards on the slab to be poured over the footer. They set a string line where the form will be and drive the stakes into the wet footer saving them extra steps after the footer hardens.

5. Ronnie

I have questions about footers, is there a way to contact you

Ronnie,

Yes. You can talk to me on the phone. I have to charge for this service as you might expect.

6. Sheila

We have a walkout basement and want to do a stamped concrete patio. When the contractor started the job he dug down and exposed the footer. How thick does the concrete have to be over the footer so it doesn't crack? Should the patio be attached to the foundation?

7. michael
    October 19, 2015

Hi, I want to build a natural stone outdoor kitchen on top of an existing flagstone patio. The patio is built on a 4-5" concrete footer. HOw can I calculate if the flagstone patio will support the weight of the kitchen? Also, how close to the edge of the patio can I build? Thanks!
    Michael

8. Hugo
    December 20, 2015

I am planning to build a two story house and I will dig a 3' footer around it. Any suggestions from anyone? So I can make some changes. Thanks

9. Phil McKinley
    March 4, 2016

I am building a 20•48 foot house 8 foot walls with a 16 foot peaked roof I want it on footers with concrete or pole pillars the concrete pillars will be round fiber tube filled with cement 8 in in diameter 2 1/2 foot tall . Or should I pour a footer and insert a treated telephone pole in the mix some where what's the best easier option I'm doing this for my first time all by my self but am confident in my will to own my very own house

10. dave
    March 21, 2016

Hi I live in western PA I am looking to build a 3ft high wall about 8ft long with concrete block mortared together. The frost line is 36 inches do I really have to dig 36 inches deep for a footer

Thanks

11. Chris

@dave
    Bottom of footer must be below frost, so 36". You could potentially only do 28" of concrete but then would require an extra layer of block. The bottom block would be covered.

12. Shirley
    June 8, 2016

I would like to brick seven post but the concrete was poured without a footer. The posts sit in about 2 feet of concrete. Can these posts be bricked?

13. Bob

I am putting a block wall up in a basement and the floor is not straight one side of the footer is 5 inches the other side is even with the slab on a basement floor the other wall for the footer to be level it is four and a half inches but where my Corners meet it goes from nothing to four and a half inches what do I do with the corner