Foundation Height

1. Gary Wieder

I have an exsiting brick cape-style home (built in 1948) that has a problem with raised grading and flower beds against the home's exterior, that is as high as 1-3 bricks high, above the top of the foundation walls. The home was custom built by it's original owners and I have no idea if they even knew to apply any waterproofing to the exterior of the foundation walls. The recommendation of a 4-6 inch exposed top foundation might be acheivable for the front and sides of my home, but the back has a gentle slope towards the house that I'm already too low where the grade meets the house. Can I just simply pull about 12" of the top layer away from the back of my home and apply waterproofing, so I can continue to keep the grad level 3-4 bricks high above the top of the foundation wall? Or do I really need to try to get the rear of my home excavated down to at least the 4" minimum of exposed foundation? Note: I also plan to install french drains across the back and down the sides of my home (as close the the house as I can manage) and also connect my downspouts to them as well, and run them out to the street in front of my home. Thanks for your help and advise!

2. miranda

Hi im way past the building planing infact there were no building plans at all it was a today i have money for this do it and so on until we got to the roof and then cement trucks came by offering left overs daily so we did the drive way and half the porch until we noticed that if we finished the porch it would block our door and now we have no idea how to fix that problem because if we finish the porch and make our main entrance room the same hieght the ceiling will be to low for my husband to fit in so we are stuck any ideas??? Thank you

You need to do a phone consult with me. This is too complex to discuss in this forum.

3. Randell Black
    March 5, 2015

I'm in the planning stages right now, and this forum has answered some of the MANY questions I have. One question that I cannot find an answer for is this: My house will be 54' × 54'. Do I need any additional "footings" running through the center of my slab? If so, what distances apart do these need to be, and do they need to be directly under a "load bearing wall?

4. Eric Tetauer

I recently purchased a home with a very low foundation under the garage. The soil and mulch were touching the bottom of the vinyl siding. I lowered the soil to expose about 4 inches of foundation but after a recent rain I noticed some pooling of water by the foundation. The sidewalk leading from the driveway to the garage is definitely an obstacle to properly grading this area. Any ideas as to what my other options might be? Thanks!

5. Natasha
    October 25, 2015

Hi...can you confirm ground level.. Is this where your front door is? My house is on a hill and I want to build a balcony which would be the same level as the front door. Is this classed as a permissable single storey extension
    A

6. Angelina
    October 10, 2016

Is there any documentation available of issues related to a new construction home built to low in the ground that is downhill from agricultural land? My house is two feet to low from the detailed engineered building plan as well as what it should be from additionally having the grading shot with lasers. We had to remove truck loads of dirt after purchasing this house at the zoning depts requests. We had drain tile installed on our property, had to put in a rain garden, have slopes and berms to try to keep water from the house also. My biggest concern is they plant soybeans/corn fifty feet to the south of my house. I have issues with my well water quality continuously, my land and my house to the point we have had to move into a rental and leave all of our possessions behind. We are having to do a lawsuit etc but as I am working with the state dept of safety and professional services currently I am at a loss by their lack of knowledge of most everything. Our township/ county are also under investigation in this claim so as anyone to whom I can contact or obtain any info from is limited. I had concern for the home being to low before any other issues arose and no matter what department I contacted nobody had a clue or source to send me to to address this.

7. Penelope
    November 3, 2016

We are having a similar issue with our house being built. The garage is under the minimum height restriction that the county requires because there is a view protection ordinance. The builder built the garage below the minimum and we are concerned about flooding. Any tips? Have you gotten closer to resolving your issue? We do not know how to approach the issue.