Foundation Waterproofing & Drain Tile Systems

1. cecile reyes
    November 5, 2012

Backfilling of foundation:

We elevated the level of our main floor by almost one meter, what is the ideal no. of days should they pour the concrete flooring?

Cecilie, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. Jerry Bragg
    February 23, 2013

Tim please email me I'm having rain problems

3. Lester Evans
    November 25, 2013

My first home (I still have it) has a walkout basement but leaked terrible when rains came. I called "Be-dry" basement water proffers. They came, outlined their method, which was to drill the walls, allow the water in to a gutter type system, then direct it to the outside. Bad idea.
    I told them I wanted to stop the water before it entered the house. They said it could not be done. More bad ideas. My solution required a lot of labor but it works. I (with some help) dug a trench around the three sides of the house where the walls were backfilled. The trench was, as you say, dug to, or near, the bottom of the footer. I lined the trench with a soil fabric to prevent silting from the bottom to a 4 inch slotted tile. For good measure I placed another run of tile on the footer. Like the guy that wears a belt and suspenders both, make sure!. I covered both tiles with soil fabric. Again, to make sure in case there were leaks through the walls (concrete block walls) I stood panels of fiberglass roofing against the walls to the top of the intended backfill. This not only prevented water from contact with the walls, but if water did find its way there the corrugated roofing would give it free fall to the tile. Now some gravel (couple of feet), then cover the gravel with soil fabric and backfill. To help compact the soil, I fixed a piece of 3/8 copper pipe, 5 feet long, with garden hose connection. with the water running I worked this pipe into the backfill. The soil (clay type) gave in rapidly and with a little foot work, no later settling has occurred.
    I know this sounds like a lot but "WHILE YOU HAVE IT DUG OUT" it is just more insurance. It works great.

4. Corinne Upton

I have small area in my basement that is unfinshed. In there is a french drain and my sub pump. Everytime it pours outside and the ground is soaked my french drains become filled and that area becomes flooded. We used drylock and that did nothing at all. We are selling the house and i am not looking to spend thousands of dollars. Can you please help me????