Glass Block Installation

1. Shawn wyson
    November 2, 2014

I'm going to be doing glass blocks for my basement windows and it's my first time doing so. The question that I had was that the mesurements for the windows is 31 and 1/4 height and 31 and 3/4 width when I mesure them to put in they seem to be short on the height and I was wondering on how to fix that issue.

November 3, 2014

Add extra mortar top and bottom and in bed joints between glass if necessary.

2. Neil Thorley
    December 14, 2016

Hi, Is there a guide on how long such glass block windows can be? I have a 3355mm long x 625mm height opening currently fitted with rotting windows and frame. I like the idea of glass blocks but I know that they are not load bearing. There is a large concrete lintel but I guess that there is always a bit of downward load particularly over such a distance. If it is too long I could break it up with a brick pillar 1 in the middle of 2 at 1/3-2/3. Is there any guidance please?

3. Roger Ratkowski

I had my basement windows (above grade) replaced in 2/2014. They left the complete metal frame in the wall and placed the glass block windows inside the frames and mortared them. I am now in the process of finishing my basement and noticed that the metal frames have condensation (water and also ice closest to the window). I thought it was standard practice to remove the metal frame when installing. I hadn't paid attention to this detail until now (Due to the basement finishing project). Were these windows installed correctly or should have the metal frame been removed? What can I do now to prevent the condensation and ice as I have had my entire basement insulated with spray foam and had drywall walls put up and around these windows...I am afraid the condensation will cause water and/or mold issues. Any suggestions?

Ouch! You should have thought about this before the job was bid. There's no easy fix at this point. What a darn shame.

Seriously, I can't think of an easy way to remove the inner steel frame without a serious amount of work. Yes, the steel should have been removed BTW.

Do me a favor please. Before you ever start to do any future job, no matter what it is, please come here and pound on my search engine. Read as many columns as possible. Watch any relevant videos.

If you can't find what you need, I can call you on the phone. This product I have will turn out to be the BEST MONEY you spend on the project. Guaranteed.

http://shop.askthebuilder.com/products/15-Minute-Phone-Conversation-with-Tim.html