How to Granite Sealer

Granite Sealer TIPS

DEAR TIM: I've talked to three different people about granite sealers and have received three different answers.

I'm hoping you can set me straight about if granite needs to be sealed, when it should happen, how it is done and how frequently.

The house I just purchased has granite countertops that are in great shape, and I want to keep them that way. Jennifer L., Antioch, IL

DEAR JENNIFER: It's really discouraging to get different answers from different people, but in this case, much of what you were told might be true.

Different Products = Different Answers

Granite countertop sealers can be as varied as cars on a used car lot. Add that to the different types, colors and grain size of granite, and you have a recipe for granite-sealing information gumbo soup.

Micro Cracks

Let's first talk about granite and why it should be sealed. I knew my college degree in geology would pay off one day. The granite used for your countertops is a natural stone made up of different interlocking mineral crystals.

The mineralogy is vastly different from granite to granite. This difference produces the nearly infinite color ranges of granite, the size of the crystals and the porosity of the stone.

Furthermore, some granites have very small cracks in them from natural stresses that happened while the granite was still part of a mountain.

CLICK HERE to get FREE & FAST BIDS from local granite countertop contractors who specialize in repairing and servicing granite.

Liquids Beware

Colored fruit juices, cooking oils, grease, fats, marker pens and anything that has color in it can seep into these small fissures and cracks. The resulting discoloration can be very difficult to remove.

Sealers act like a shield to prevent stains from entering the granite in the first place.

Seal Immediately

Granite should be sealed before it is put into use. This doesn't mean the day it is installed.

Granite sealers should be applied to the polished surfaces of the granite when there's very little airborne dust.

This means that in new construction and remodeling jobs, it is best to wait until the end of the job after the final cleaning has taken place.

Someone should seal the granite the day after the cleaning crew leaves and just before the homeowner takes possession of the kitchen, bathroom or wet bar where the granite tops are installed.

This is a very high quality granite sealer. The BEST sealers cost the most. BEWARE of low-priced granite sealers. CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO BUY THIS AMAZING SEALER.

Critical Areas

Now, with that being said, there are small areas of the granite that should be sealed just after the granite is installed. It's a great idea to apply a sealer to the areas immediately adjacent to where faucets, sinks and cooktops will be installed on or under the granite.

Faucets, cooktops and over-mount sinks hide small areas of granite that can be still be attacked by liquids that might seep under a seal. Apply the granite sealer to the polished surface of the granite as well as the rough cut holes and edges where these different fixtures will be installed.

This is the granite kitchen countertop in the last house I built in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a gorgeous light granite and I sealed it to ensure there were no stains. © Copyright 2017 Tim Carter 

Used Granite Tops

If you're moving into a previously owned home that has granite countertops, you have no clue if they were sealed, and more importantly, if they were sealed with a high-quality sealer.

If I were you, I'd take the position that the granite was not sealed and do so on move-in day. If at all possible, do it before you move in.

I realize you'll be very busy moving in, but you will regret sealing the granite if someone spills grape juice or leaves a greasy pizza box sitting on the countertops as you collapse from all of the work on move-in day.

Ten Years

High-quality granite sealers have a long life span. Some can provide protection for up to ten years. The life expectancy of the sealer you purchase should be clearly marked on the product label. To be safe, I'd not wait until the old sealer wears off before applying additional coats.

Easy To Apply

Granite sealers are easy to work with. As with any specialty product, always read the application instructions, and follow them to the letter.

Must Be Bone Dry

Many granite sealers tell you to apply them to dry granite. This is very important. Be aware of what dry means. This doesn't mean clean the countertop and then dry it with a paper towel.

Water from the cleaning process can seep into the granite just as a liquid that might stain it. If water is in the small cracks, fissures and spaces between the crystals, the sealer can't penetrate into the granite.

Sit For 24 Hours

Clean the granite and let it sit for 24 hours or allow a fan to blow across the granite for eight hours. Wet granite has a richer color than dry granite, so wait for the granite to get that faded look before opening the sealer.

Buff For Great Shine

Once the sealer is dry, buff it with an old terry-cloth bath towel. These rough cloths do a fantastic job of making the granite shine.

Cordless orbital buffers will really make this buff job easy.

This is an affordable orbital buffer. It's not meant to use everyday. It will polish your granite top with ease. CLICK THE IMAGE NOW TO ORDER IT.

9 Responses to How to Granite Sealer

1. Tim, what do I do if water is already been absorbed into the granite? Should I still seal it or should I wait until it completely dries before I seal it? If wait, how long will it take to dry? If I seal it, will it dry from the bottom side? Thank you.

• Craig, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. HI,

I was just reading your blog and found it very informative. I have this problem and need your advice.

We have just got Ivory Brown granite fixed as countertop and backsplash in our kitchen. We have seen dark spots where water spills but it evaporates soon.

Could you name a few good brands of granite sealers please?

Appreciate any inputs you can provide.

• Maddy, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. What's in a granite sealer, though? Is it mineral oil solution, like a lapidary sealer? Is it a plastic? What compounds are in it? How do I know it won't rub off onto my foods or hands?

I don't see anyone answering these questions, it's frustrating!

4. I've just installed rough granite slap of some 4, 500 sq feet. Can you advise what's the best and most economical avaliable products in the market for my granite which are install outside my home? Area have car traffic though its only 2-3 cars moving in and out on the granite. Thank you

5. I've read that you do not need to seal black granite. I have black with gold specks in it. Is it the that I do not have to seal it and, if so, why.
    Thanks

6. Hi. I did not do my research and now I own a Juparana Colombo granite counter-top. Beautiful stone but sooo porous. To date I tried 3 coats of Dupont heavy duty sealer and 1 of 511 Miracle Porous Plus sealer. Everything by the instructions from each manufacturer. I used denatured alcohol just before application. So, clean with countertop cleaner, wait 24 hrs, wipe with alcohol, first coat of Dupont, wait 2 hrs, second, 2 hours, third, wait 1 hr buff with cloth. Left it some 3 days then tested with grease, left a spot. Researched some more, found the 511, so some 6 days later, clean again, alcohol, 1 coat of 511. Regardless, I put a drop of grease on it, it leaves a mark. Is there any hope for sealing this counter-top? Thanks.