Granite Sealer

1. Craig M.

Tim, what do I do if water is already been absorbed into the granite? Should I still seal it or should I wait until it completely dries before I seal it? If wait, how long will it take to dry? If I seal it, will it dry from the bottom side? Thank you.

Craig, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

2. Maddy
    November 11, 2012

HI,

I was just reading your blog and found it very informative. I have this problem and need your advice.

We have just got Ivory Brown granite fixed as countertop and backsplash in our kitchen. We have seen dark spots where water spills but it evaporates soon.

Could you name a few good brands of granite sealers please?

Appreciate any inputs you can provide.

Maddy, your question requires lots of typing, plus I have some questions for you so I can give you the correct answer(s). I only do pithy answers here in the comment section. If you want to protect the investment you have in your house and not waste time or money *hoping* you make the right decision, you should talk to me on the phone for just 15 minutes. It'll be the best investment you've ever made in your home!

3. Crissa
    March 23, 2013

What's in a granite sealer, though? Is it mineral oil solution, like a lapidary sealer? Is it a plastic? What compounds are in it? How do I know it won't rub off onto my foods or hands?

I don't see anyone answering these questions, it's frustrating!

So Crissa, when you have questions like this have you ever thought of asking the people that make the product??????

4. Peter Yap

I've just installed rough granite slap of some 4, 500 sq feet. Can you advise what's the best and most economical avaliable products in the market for my granite which are install outside my home? Area have car traffic though its only 2-3 cars moving in and out on the granite. Thank you

5. Ken
    February 8, 2016

I've read that you do not need to seal black granite. I have black with gold specks in it. Is it the that I do not have to seal it and, if so, why.
    Thanks

6. Adrian
    March 18, 2016

Hi. I did not do my research and now I own a Juparana Colombo granite counter-top. Beautiful stone but sooo porous. To date I tried 3 coats of Dupont heavy duty sealer and 1 of 511 Miracle Porous Plus sealer. Everything by the instructions from each manufacturer. I used denatured alcohol just before application. So, clean with countertop cleaner, wait 24 hrs, wipe with alcohol, first coat of Dupont, wait 2 hrs, second, 2 hours, third, wait 1 hr buff with cloth. Left it some 3 days then tested with grease, left a spot. Researched some more, found the 511, so some 6 days later, clean again, alcohol, 1 coat of 511. Regardless, I put a drop of grease on it, it leaves a mark. Is there any hope for sealing this counter-top? Thanks.