Household Drain Clogs – Fixes and Prevention

1. Ozzie

I have heard of two alternate suggestions on cleaning drains:

When using a plunger, the first action should be to create a suction action by strongly pulling up on the plunger in a filled basin, whereas initially pushing can create greater packing at the clog.

I have also read that a gallon or two of boiling water periodically can take care of most grease and soap just fine

You need my Deck Cleaning and Sealing ebook.

Tim Carter

2. Serenity Stevens

Is it safe for the pipes (the trap, actually) to leave the bleach much longer than overnight? My brother likes to leave the bleach in for a week, and he says that leaving it in for only a day or two isn't nearly as effective.

Also, is it possible that a clog beyond the trap can be reduced by the chlorine vapors that evaporate from the bleach in the trap? If so, perhaps that's why leaving it for a week is more effective.

Thanks for your advice!

You can try it. If the chlorine bleach doesn't loosen the clog in 8 hours or so, you need a traditional snake or other drain-cleaning process. Bleach is the easy way out. It won't work on non-organic blockages, tree roots, etc.

3. Mike
    October 18, 2014

My mother's 40 year old drain pipes all seem to have a hard black buildup in them as they go into the wall. If the sink has not been used in a while I can kind of chisel it out with a screw driver after I remove the P trap, etc., but I suspect there is more further in the pipe. Any idea what this stuff is or what to do about it?

October 19, 2014

Gunk. You can try to snake through it. If unsuccessful, then you install a new branch arm.

4. Ed smithler

I FELLOFFN YTHEroof dand btroke my hip swhile plugging the drain vent.the devive I used called Drain King used the pressureized loimebtom removeb grease clogs,etc.