How To Do Insulation For Basement

1. Mark

I am currently completing my basement in the second manor, rigid foam, framing then insulation. I'm just wondering if you install poly with acoustic seal over the wood framing to provide a full proof seal? Thanks, Mark

Mark, it's more complex than that. I can discuss it on the phone if you want.

2. Barry
    June 30, 2013

If I install rigid foam against the basement wall, then batt insulation, and then 6 mil plastic do I not then have my batt insulation sandwiched between 2 vapour barriers? Is that going to be a problem?

3. Eric

I'm looking to insulate and frame a basement wall and was planning on installing with the rigid foam as you suggest. I have two questions though:

1)I have a few minor hairline cracks in the foundation which leak. I'm having them repaired, but I'm worried about future leakage. If there are any leaks whatsoever, should I not install the rigid foam to the foundation?

2) I have a French drain system in the basement. Does this change the recommendation? Thanks

4. Lou

I will be finishing a basement in April, the house is about 11 years old and I will be giving it a leak test before framing and drywalling (walls & floors) if it passes leak test is it a good idea to use a bondtec membrane or other leak type materials to prevent leakage at a later date even if your basement is dry is this an over kill?

5. Olimpio Trombetta
    March 23, 2014

I do not have any leaks in my basement, but my walls are made out of concrete blocks. I have lots of white like salt sediment at about one foot from the floor, I will like to know if that is a problems to finish my basement, would I just put the rigid insulation over the white stuff?? I have been holding this project now for ever, please help. Thanks in advance for your respond.

March 23, 2014

You should schedule a 15-Minute phone consult with me. Lots to talk about.