How to Insulate an Older Brick Home

1. jeremy patalon

IN REGARDS TO THE TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION YOU REFERRED TO ABOVE. IN MY BASEMENT BAND THERE SEEMS TO BE AN AIR GAP THAT RUNS UP BEHIND THE PLASTER. IS THIS PART OF THE DESIGN? CAN I SEAL THIS OFF OR SHOULD I LEAVE IT OPEN?

You can seal it. You may want to have a phone conversation with me about it. I just do pithy answers here.

2. Brenda

I own a 1909 stone home. The interior walls are plastered. I know the walls are not insulated, and I have done some homework about blown in insulation, but I also worry about a moisture problem after the insulation is in the walls. I have read that this may cause mold to grow due to the lack of a moisture barrier on the exterior wall. What is your opinion and is there any other way to resolve this dilemma?

Thank you,
    Brenda

3. ken
    October 19, 2013

Breeze way was built between house and garage out of wood front and back and the walls are insulated. Like to insulate garage side, which is inside garage and out of the weather. It is not a heated space but dry. My plan is to put foam board against brick and sheetrock the wall. I do have some heat in breezeway for our dogs when they are home alone. Brick wall is about 8 inches thick. The house itself has vermiculite between brick and plaster, I have new windows so I have seen it, is this ok?

4. Lisa Ayers
    February 25, 2016

The above question is the exact example of my home, my house was built in the 1950's...would you recommend insulated siding? My house is on the end and next to an alley, which allows my living room and upstairs front bedroom very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. my windows has been replaced and the crawl space has upgraded insulation.