How to Modify Wood and Attic Trusses

1. Lillian Moore

Thanks for the article! I thought it was interesting that attic trusses shouldn't be installed over the garage. Having the trusses over the garage and then wanting to add a room over the garage can cause problems, especially since the trusses are so important to the structure. I had my upstairs living room redone recently and we ended up moving a wall a few feet but couldn't go further than the truss at the edge of the house. Though we couldn't make out a square wall, just moving the flat portion of the wall over a couple feet made a huge difference to the house. I really appreciate your advice, I hope to apply these tips in the future.

2. John

Thanks for sharing this! Seeing the amount of work that goes into making the modification happen definitely makes taking the roof off seem more appealing if it can be done. Either way, it looks like it's going to take quite a bit of manpower.

3. David S

Informative - I have a contractor in place to redo the roof already (it's 20+ years old and insurance will cover it). So I assume they may know a contractor that can redo the attic space over the garage so I can use it as storage? I have less than half my garage for my woodworking and looked up in the attic earlier thinking to myself man if only I could cut those angled monstrosities and somehow make them vertical I could put some 1/2" - 3/4" Plywood down and store the boxes of stuff I currently have in the garage up there. I will contact them on Monday and see if we can have that done when they redo the roof (might as well do it all in one shot right?)