How To Polish Marble

1. Tom P
    December 20, 2012

Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Debra, you should consider investing in a 15-Minute Consult with me. Look at my cart for that. Lot's to discuss. I just do short pithy answers here.

2. JohnnyLamb

Can this be done effectively with a palm sander and silicon carbide sheets? I want to do edges on a sink cutout and plain counter edge. It doesn't have to be fast.

It's just that I have a palm sander, and don't have the pads and attachments to use my variable speed corded drill as a sander. (and I'm afraid I'd mess it up using something so powerful and harder to handle for sanding).

Thanks, good site.

February 24, 2013

Just get the right sandpaper. Easy

3. Aaron Xie

Glad to find this post. I have a marble dinning table (38" * 76") with a transparent polyester coating. The coating is cracked, so I sanded it off. Now the natural stone is exposed, and I need to polish it.

My problem is that I can not find sanding papers for stone anywhere in Ottawa. Can I instead use those for polishing cars?

Given the area the I am going to polish, how long does it usually take?

Thanks for any information.

I have no idea of your skills or tools. Thus it's impossible to answer you.

4. Oscar

Having trouble finding drill attachment online. Which one(s) do you recommend?

5. Oscar

I want to try this on a marble table that has a really bad rough spot on it (you can feel the coarse stone). However, the rest of the table is very smooth. Would I do the above steps on just the coarse spot, or would I have to do the entire table? Thanks!

6. Tony Arnold

Thanks for this. Has taken a considerable time to find a comprehensive and sound explanation. I am making tables using some marble that has a few blemishes (to keep costs down) and need to be able to finish them. Much appreciated. Tony, Bath UK

7. Adam
    October 2, 2015

Hi and thanks for the great article. Quick question. I have a round marble sink I'd like to polish. Can this be done by hand with squares of the Silicon Carbide sandpaper? Would I make circular motions or use some other technique? Any help would be appreciated.

8. Suzanne
    November 17, 2015

Can the same techniques be used on limestone? I don't want a shine. I just want to get rid of the etched marks, make the surface more uniform before sealing. I like the idea of working wet, but what type of sandpaper will work with water?