How to Use a Simple Multimeter

1. ron bradley
    March 3, 2014

I want to know how to check the continuity of a switch from a humidifier.

March 3, 2014

Easy. Use a multimeter that checks for that. Get a simple one-foot long piece of wire. Strip some insulation from each end. Set the tool to check for continuity. Touch one of the probes to one end of the wire and the other probe to the other end. See what the meter does. Now, go do the same things with the ENDS of the wire you're trying to check. Get it?

2. Alan Rauchwerger
    March 23, 2015

As a retired electronic technician with over 35 years’ experience, I can attest that the drawback of the "simple multimeter", especially for an amateur, is that BOTH leads must make good contact.
    I highly recommend a non-contact voltage detector, such as http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-10760 for anyone working with line voltage, especially amateurs. It can literally be a lifesaver when there's more than one source of voltage in an electrical box! I know I’ve been spared a few surprises thanks to these devices, and I’ve given several to friends and relatives.
    When you have only a meter and are working with line voltage, be safe and follow this procedure every time: set your meter to AC volts, then use it to check an electrical outlet that is “live”. If it reads about 120 volts, begin your project; if not, buy a new meter before starting. The life you save may be your own.