I Didn’t Know That

1. Jean Colson

Very clever, those old dentists!!

I sure wish you lived next door as you seem like a helpful guy & we could come & ask you a TON of questions about the situation we have in our master bath as a result of leaks in polybutylene plastic pipes and the resulting MOLD. Now we have to address restoring our bathroom & need help & guidance on products...HELP

Keep up the great work & even though I'm an old lady who doesn't do much "handyperson" stuff -- I read every message from you -- including about one of my favorite products -- "Stain Solver"

2. Rex Hartwell

Hi Tim! When the Daredevil spade took on the Irwin Speedbor spade bit, I could only wait to see the video. It is interesting that the Daredevil uses a self-feeding tip (the secret to the speed).
    a while back, I came across a Speedbor bit (No.1799424) that not only had the self-feeding tip, but three blades, like a drill bit! And YES it does cut through nails! What a trip! Check it out. It comes in several sizes and is great for running romex, etc.!

3. Allan Clare

Hi Tim, I knew about the "dove-tailing" of repair materials into cracks and holes. What I did'nt know was that it is necassary to remove and replace the gravel (hardcore) at the bottom of the repair area. I guess this is similar to dusting cracks in wall render or plaster. I look forward to recieing "Ask the Builder" andI enjoy learning of many new procedures, materials and tools. In the 50s my father received DIY magazines from a friend who had emigated to the states in the 40s, we were both like little school boys in a sweet shop with amazment and envey, he often spoke highly of the quality of the few hand tools he couls afford from the USA prior to WW2 . I wish I could get "Stain Solver " here in the UK. Keep up the good work.

4. Loren Power

Tim:

Back in the Olden days of Cincinnati Shaper Company (1960's) we had something called "Easy Outs". It was the same principle but you had to drill a small hole into the center of the screw/bolt and then extract the screw/bolt like you did in your video. The "easy out" had rather large left handed threads. The bigger the screw the easier the "easy out" worked. Smaller than a 1/4" was a bugger.

5. Jim Irwin

You got me, I did not know that. Probably because I use Robertson Screws in Canada eh!. I would be interested why the Robertson Head Screw is not available in the USA. When we RV in the States I always take some with me.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy all your tips.

Jim Irwin
    Hope BC

6. Howard

Tim,
    I didn't know about the reverse drill bits.
    But I have used easy-outs to remove screws that snapped off and also a shower elbow that broke off inside the wall.
    Thanks for the tip.

Howard

7. Kent Smith

Tim ,
    I thought I was the only one that coffee made me feel like I was burning and sweating all over!Cn't drink it !

8. Mike Collins

I didn't know that. Still smiling about it too. Never can get enough info you know.

9. Doug Behnke

I didn't know that- very clever

10. Rusell Morris

Hi Tim.

I didn't know that. However, for the second time, I have been unable to watch the video properly. I had the same problem with your last "Did you know" question. I get audio, and I get a mini screen shot if I hover my cursor over the bottom bar.

This is a mystery to me.

11. Craig

However... can't I just use the existing, capped-off household sewer access, next to my home -- to put in the copper sulfate crystals? We just bought an existing home with several large-rooting river birch trees and a 30 foot pine that were, unfortunately, planted too close to the foundation -- back in 1988. We may have to take them out, altogether. But your solution might keep them at bay for a while. Am I off-track, here?

12. Joy Davis

I did not know any of that. very interesting.

13. Dan Wilson

Can't understand how you can keep an entire length of sewer line free of roots by treating one spot 2 feet above it!

You missed the point. Generally there's just ONE point where the sewer line is cracked and the roots enter. You locate that with a camera, then treat above that spot.

14. dave bisila

Very interesting, but if I were doing it I'd just hook my hose to one end of the pipe. Then turn the water on and simply push the pipe into the ground. No auger, no danger of wrecking any underground utility lines and no sweat. It might make a little bit of a mess but hydraulic drilling really works well, especially in sandy soil. For a relatively shallow depth like this it'd be perfect.

15. David Elmore

I had never seen that before. Thanks

16. Bill

Thanks, Tim - that makes the process look a lot easier. Unfortunately, although I love the look of glass blocks, my wife hates it, so I probably wont be using this tip anytime soon (unless she visits her mother for a week and leaves me home to play...)

One thing I would like to point out is (how inappropriate!) a grammatical error that's a pet peeve of mine. You say you must put a spacer "between each block". Well, you can't do that! Things have to go between things. It should be "...between each pair of blocks, or "on top of (or beside) each block", or "after each block", or similar. Try this if you don't believe me: put a sheet of paper between each hand while keeping one hand in your pocket.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the tips.

-Bill

17. Craig McCluskey

Tim,

I knew about building with glass block the old way, but the new way is so much easier and quicker. Thanks for showing us.

BTW, your yellow entrance hall looks fabulous. I'm in the process of painting a bathroom and three bedrooms with flat white water-based paint on the ceiling, a lighter tint of yellow semi-gloss water based on the walls, and white full-gloss oil based paint on the trim. Thanks for the tips.

Craig

18. BOB WACHAL

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT . DO YOU CHALK THE BLOCKS IN THEN TO WATERPROOF ??? I INSTALLED GLASS BLOCKS ONCE WITH MORTAR AND SPACERS , WHAT A JOB !!!!

19. mike cyr

tim before I built my log home 9 years ago, I lived in a house that was built in 1957 and on both sides of my front door entrance were these glass blocks, some you could see through and some you could not for privacy features but all were held together with motor which I thought someday they could invent something else to hold these together. even the end wall of my shower was glass blocks. so I learned something from you again today! thanks

You're welcome Mike! I had fun doing the interior greenhouse with my youngest daughter.

20. Jim Bowen

Thanks Tim! I understand how those plastic dividers help build a structurally stable wall, but what about weatherproofing? What would I do if I wanted to create an exterior window out of these, or maybe a shower enclosure?
    Jim

21. James Hoeppner
    October 8, 2013

Well Tim, I knew you had a lot of great, helpful videos out there on You Tube, but I didn't know about the playlist thing. That's really helpful. And as soon as my meager data limit is reset in a couple of days, I hope to check this feature out.

I'm especially interested in Stain Solver videos. Is there a playlist specifically for those? I received my jar of Stain Solver a while back and have several potential cleaning projects in mind, but need some how-to-mix-and-apply direction.

22. Ron Thompson
    October 9, 2013

What a WEALTH of information! You continue to amaze me after all these years. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge with us.

Ron in NC

23. kentuckylady717
    October 16, 2013

Already left my comment on the comment box below the video......feel free to add it here too.....again a great video......

24. Philip Bender
    October 22, 2013

Thanks for the newsletters and stories.
    I also enjoy sunrises, just not red ones (Red at morning, sailor heed warning...)
    Better they be sunsets (for the visuals).
    Sunsets imply the end of something, sunrises the beginning.
    Phil VA3BN

25. DonSparrow
    October 22, 2013

Brought back a memory of something called wood filler from my long ago industrial arts classes....

26. George Gilbert
    October 22, 2013

Well! that explains what happened to my sister in-law's floors