Ice And Water Shield

1. Mia

Looking to get a low slope sunroom roof re-done. There are 2 skylights. The skylights are leaking and will be replaced. The roof is leaking above the rear windows; we are told the water from the skylight leak is traveling on the downward slope and emerging above these widows. We have been advised to go with a rubber roof. Can 'ice and water shield' be used with a rubber membrane system? Is a rubber roof the best way to go?
    How about an ice and water shield and a different roof system ( tar and paper?). Please advise. We are in Canada ( cold winters). Your input much appreciated. I am very concerned to do the best thing and solve this leak problem.

2. mike

I need to know if you need to remove ice and dam when reroofing ? Does it need to to be recovered, or can it be just reused?

3. James

If you are useing the ice and water shield, can you skip (not use) the felt paper all together?

4. John
    October 3, 2013

Ice and water shield is crap...if you ever have to replace your roof, like after a hail storm. You can't remove the shield, so you have to replace all the wood as well. Insurance won't cover the cost, so the home owner, like me, has to PAY TO HAVE YOUR WHOLE ROOF REPLACED. This article is crap!! Don't buy it!!

Uh, what about removing the shingles and then placing a new layer of ice and watershield on the roof?

• joeburnes

The insurance carriers have to pay for the decking if the decking is damaged by the removal of the underlayment. Peeling up the ice and water WILL cause pieces of the decking to be removed. They know this. If they chose not to pay, that is them being cheap and not negotiating in a fair manner. You need an attorney or a public adjuster, not a weaker product, but bashing an article with uninformed information is not the way to go. Not only do I own a roofing company, I am a licensed insurance adjuster in Texas and have redecked many clients homes that the insurance did pay for. You just have to know enough to keep them from screwing you.....unless you're one of those that thinks the insurance company is on your side. lol

• The Adjuster

One should only talk! Do you know this persons policy? Can you answer there insurance questions? That would be a NO! You can not! Don't need a Lawyer or a PA! A PA is going to take a percentage of your RCV, but why tell them that fancy Texas adjuster? Dumbass! Take my word for it, I am also a licensed Adjuster in 19 states, read your policy! You want to not go back and forth with your insurance company? Buy the best policy they have with all the endorsements. And always remember the insurance company is putting money in your hand for STORM damage, not Damage! Know the difference. Don't let clowns like this Joe Burnes guy lead you down a dead end path.

• I got a new roof
        October 3, 2016

That would not be correct either. Insurance has to pay for all cost associated with getting your roof back to pre damage condition. That includes roof decking if needs to be replaced as part of the roof. In your case, why would insurance pay for felt or ice and water or valley metal, if they are UNDER the shingles?

If an insurance company does not act in good faith, you can take them to small claims court for up to $10,000 in damages. THAT will pay for the roof.

5. Kevin
    June 22, 2014

My son just bought a older mobile home and the roof leaks. We just cut the bad shingles out 25' x6' and install the fire and ice over laping everything can he leave it with no shingles on it for a year till he saves to do the whole roof? We liv in Michigan also.

June 24, 2014

When you read the installation instruction for the Fire and Ice product, what did it say about how long you can leave it exposed to sunlight? You did read them, right?

6. Joe Karakas
    December 16, 2014

am I seeing in a photo on this page, Grace ice and water shield installed over the entire roof deck??

plywood can't breath...... expansion and contraction..... Hello????!!!!

do you know what this does to your roof deck? I'm guessing you do not!

December 17, 2014

Hello Joe! Have you read the installation specifications at the Grace website? Have you ever thought about the UNDERSIDE of the wood roof deck and that it can liberate all the water vapor it wants in that direction? And as for expansion and contraction, have you ever thought about providing the minimum spacing between sheets of plywood or OSB to account for this movement? With all due respect, it's comments like yours that make the Internet a very very dangerous place. Anyone like you that can fog a mirror and operate a keyboard and mouse can spout off what *they* think is correct information. From now on, please do your due diligence before writing a comment on any website.

7. ed
    December 27, 2014

Can I apply a rubber roof over ice and water shield? Will the bonding cement adhere?

December 30, 2014

You ask this question to the manufacturer of the rubber roofing.....

8. Sam
    February 4, 2015

Is adding standard tar paper over the ice and water sheild a good idea for extra protection or is this not needed. My roof is a non vented metal roof

February 4, 2015

Not needed.

9. Paul Kenmuir
    March 24, 2015

I had a new roof installed with ice and water barrier on the entire dormer and wall. Ice dams form along this dormer, and come Feb top of windows are still leaking like they did before I bought a new roof and barrier. One window in downstairs kitchen and the other in upstairs bedroom- the exact same place as before installation of roof. Icicles form under the upper flashing dripping down walls leaving them water stained. Roofer says not a roofing problem? Help

10. S.Taylor
    June 9, 2015

Hello - We are having our roof re-shingled; the roofer plans to use a combination of starter shingles and synthetic underlayment and says that we do not need separate ice and water shield.... Does that sound OK to you? (In MD, Tamko shingles) Thank you!

June 9, 2015

Maryland is not prone to severe snow buildup and ice unless you're in the western part of the state. It might not be a bad idea to put it in on the eaves and any valleys if you FEEL you could get heavy snow.

11. S.Taylor
    June 9, 2015

Thanks so much; I appreciate your article and your quick reply. From what my husband says, I think the roofer is thinking like you suggested - not much heavy snow on this side of MD - and that this starter shingle/synthetic underlayment works well for the water aspect (e.g. sideways driving rain). Appreciate your insight..

12. Reghan

I am getting a new roof installed. They laid all the fire and ice blocker but had to finish another job so they left for the past week. It has been pouring rain and there are small parts of they plywood that have not been covered at all? One can the shield last a week in the pouring rain and two should they have left some wood exposed that long????

13. Dell

Having skylights replaced. Is it OK to place new ice shield over existing old ice shield? Thanks

Yes it is fine. Be sure it's CLEAN for perfect adhesion.

14. Gary

I am having my entire roof redone. I have two long valleys where the roof on an addition ties into my preexisting roof. I live in Massachusetts where ice damns are common. I'm particularly worried about doing these valleys right. I had one roofer tell me he would put copper flashing down the lengths of the valleys. Several other roofers suggested they would just install 6 feet of ice and water shield. They advised that shingles were supple enough to conform to the valley and make the turn from one roof line to the other. Could you comment on which is the best solution? I really don't want any more ice damn damage! P.S. The quote including flashing was significantly more expensive that the others.

You need one of my phone consults. There's a few things we need to go over. The phone consult will save you HUNDREDS of dollars..... Guaranteed.

15. Lori

Tim, we have a vaulted ceiling in one room of our house and we suspect the ceiling/insulation goes all the way to the roof line and wasn't getting air to circulate through the vents. This caused a soft spot on this area of the roof which led to the wood rotting and rippling. We've removed this area of the roof all the way to the valley. The decking was removed and replaced with new so we're ready to take the next steps. The question is, there are no negative impacts with using the weather shield in the entire area and overlapping it a little over the valley is there? We're talking a space about 14'x14'. We live in suburban Chicago so we do get bad weather. Looking to finish this up so we can come inside and get this ceiling dropped! Guess this is my chance to make it wood

16. Kathy
    December 11, 2015

12-11-15 Friday
    Hi Tim,
    Thank you for helping people with their questions.
    In a Poconos Pennsylvania location, we have a 14' x 12' lean to shed that needs covered before winter. Contractors just do not come right over and do a small job like this. Can we cover the roof with A double layer of snow and ice shield until spring? We're going to put a metal roofing material on that lean to. Thank you for any information you can provide. Have a great Holiday and a Happy New Year!

17. josh

I live in a double wide trailer and i am get water leaking on peak i was wondering if i could put ice and water down on peak and then seal over the whole roof with kool seal. It is just temporary. I plan on building new house in a few years.

18. Matt

I am installing a raised paver patio that will extend beyond the top of my basement foundation and I am looking for a moisture/water barrier to use to protect the wood sheathing, Would this product work for this application?

19. Simon

Hello Tim, I told my roofer about this product. He said to only install it around the bottom 3 feet of the roof. I told him I wanted it on all of the roof, he said that would create premature usage of the shingles because it traps more heat than regular paper or other synthetic membrane. He suggests to use Roof liner instead ( a synthetic membrane made by DuPont) which to me looks like plastic on the rest of the roof. Is he accurate about the premature usage of the shingles ?

20. Ed

Excellent write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. The information has been very helpful and I think you did an excellent job of dealing with the naysayers and trolls. Thanks for taking your time to do this.

21. Chris R.

can you apply this to porch decks as an underlayment for pavers?

22. Winston

Hi trying to make my mind up doing a low slope roof 45x65 with ice shield . Does it have to be nail along the joints .

23. Frank R

Porch roof was leaking in many places due to failed flat roof system (lots of roofing cement) ripped it all up changed pitch from 1.5:12 to 3.5:12 (to match back section) covered entire roof with grace I&W some areas exposed for a week or two. All finished no more leaks. Stuff is sticky above 75 degrees just take your time and you should be fine.